Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Asus HD5870 or Sapphire HD5870

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Asus
  • Cooler Master
  • Sapphire
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
December 15, 2009 9:11:30 PM

Hi all

I'm building a new PC and my specs are as follows:

Coolermaster HAF 932
Coolermaster UCP 900
Asus Rampage 2 Extreme
Intel Core i7 920
Coolermaster V8 cooler
3 x Kingston Hyper-X DDR3-2000 CL8 (Tri-channel)
LiteOn Sata DVD-RW
Seagate 1Tb HDD
HD5870 (Asus or Sapphire)

So here's the thing, which is better? Asus or Sapphire, and is it worth it to pay that little extra and get the Sapphire Vapor-X? Are there any performance differences and are there any differences size wise?

Also would the 900W powersupply be enough?

Thanks
RapieR

More about : asus hd5870 sapphire hd5870

December 15, 2009 9:28:14 PM

Vapor-X should be a stronger, quieter cooling for the GPU than ASUS's standard cooler.

I think Sapphire has a 2 years from date of purchase warranty and ASUS has 3 years from date of manufacture, but you should double check that on their websites.

Size wont matter in a HAF 932. There should not be much (if any) size difference.

A good 900W PSU should run an overclocked system and three 5870s. If you only have one GPU then its overkill.
December 16, 2009 1:10:03 AM

I propose for you to use a sapphire vapor x to for the cooling and performance over the stock 5870.
Asus are only good at making motherboards and not graphics cards. since all asus graphic cards I have had have failed miserabaly.
Related resources
a c 115 Ĉ ASUS
December 16, 2009 2:29:23 AM

Asus and Saphire are the only ones with non reference board designs that I have seen.....Out of my last 30 or so builds, probably 27 had Asus MoBos and 24 had Asus Vid Cards .... no failures yet that I have heard of. Reason I went w/ Asus vid cards is tech support is trained no. 1 to get you off the phone....so if ya call about a problem for mobo, 1st thing they says is "It's a vid card problem" (and visa versa).

But that only works for me if the performance is the same....bing a "hardware whore" if there's a significant performance difference, I going with the big number.

Looking here:

The Vapor X gets 2.8 % better performance than a reference design

http://techgage.com/article/sapphire_radeon_hd_5870_vap...

Didn't get much OC with the Vapor

here they "say" they got 20% with the Asus

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1104/14/
December 16, 2009 3:37:00 PM

dndhatcher said:
Vapor-X should be a stronger, quieter cooling for the GPU than ASUS's standard cooler.

I think Sapphire has a 2 years from date of purchase warranty and ASUS has 3 years from date of manufacture, but you should double check that on their websites.

Size wont matter in a HAF 932. There should not be much (if any) size difference.

A good 900W PSU should run an overclocked system and three 5870s. If you only have one GPU then its overkill.


Sorry should've been more specific, I mean size wise in width. If I run crossfire would there be enough space between the cards? From what I found both are dual slot width, but is one maybe bigger and could cause a problem in that sense?
Thanks again
December 16, 2009 3:44:54 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Asus and Saphire are the only ones with non reference board designs that I have seen.....Out of my last 30 or so builds, probably 27 had Asus MoBos and 24 had Asus Vid Cards .... no failures yet that I have heard of. Reason I went w/ Asus vid cards is tech support is trained no. 1 to get you off the phone....so if ya call about a problem for mobo, 1st thing they says is "It's a vid card problem" (and visa versa).

But that only works for me if the performance is the same....bing a "hardware whore" if there's a significant performance difference, I going with the big number.

Looking here:

The Vapor X gets 2.8 % better performance than a reference design

http://techgage.com/article/sapphire_radeon_hd_5870_vap...

Didn't get much OC with the Vapor

here they "say" they got 20% with the Asus

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1104/14/


Thanks, those two reviews were very helpful! :D 
December 16, 2009 4:41:46 PM

RapieR said:
Sorry should've been more specific, I mean size wise in width. If I run crossfire would there be enough space between the cards? From what I found both are dual slot width, but is one maybe bigger and could cause a problem in that sense?
Thanks again

Width will not be an issue. They have to fit in the slots on the motherboard.

The place where VaporX may be better side by side is because it is not a blocky box so its fan could pull air easier with another card beside it.
!