Solved

Crossfire with only 2- 6pin PCI-e outlets on PSU

I have a single ATI 4870 now & at some point I what to add another 4870 to the system. My PSU is (CoolerMaster Silent Pro M700 RS-700-AMBA-D3) with 2- 6pin PCI-e outlets on the PSU. My question is will this PSU let run 2 ATI 4870 in crossfire or do I need a PSU with 4-6pin outlets (the PSU says it is SLI ready, but does not says anything about Crossfire)?

If I can run 2 4870 will I only run 1- 6pin to each video card?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about crossfire 6pin outlets
  1. No, both cards must have all plugs inserted, otherwise they won't run. If you are confident you have sufficient power, you can get converters/splitters to get your 4 PCI-E power plugs.
  2. EXT64 said:
    No, both cards must have all plugs inserted, otherwise they won't run. If you are confident you have sufficient power, you can get converters/splitters to get your 4 PCI-E power plugs.

Yes I think there is enough power with +12v @ 50A with total output @ 700w. What does this converters/splitters look like & do you recommend a brand?

Thanks
  3. Best answer
    This looks like a decent one. This is the way my PSU does it from the manufacturer (1 6 pin to 2 6+2 pin) so I think it should work. This is not the only option though, browse around Newegg to see what else they have (and other sites as well).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812706014&cm_re=6_pin_PCI-E-_-12-706-014-_-Product
  4. Or you can get a couple of molex to pci adapters. My 4870 came with them.
  5. KidHorn said:
    Or you can get a couple of molex to pci adapters. My 4870 came with them.

Yes I have those but I want to add another 4870 into the mix so I need another 2-6pin from the PSU
  6. EXT64 said:
    This looks like a decent one. This is the way my PSU does it from the manufacturer (1 6 pin to 2 6+2 pin) so I think it should work. This is not the only option though, browse around Newegg to see what else they have (and other sites as well).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812706014&cm_re=6_pin_PCI-E-_-12-706-014-_-Product

Hey thanks for the info I was worried that I would have buying another PSU.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Express Crossfire ATI Graphics Product