Will 6 x 2GB of DDR3 1600 RAM work in a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3 motherboa

miketomei

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I already placed the New Egg order for 6 sticks of 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM and noticed that the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3) specs say it can handle memory standards of DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800. So will the DDR3 1600 memory work in the board, but just at the 1333 speed, or will it just not work at all? Also please note, I'm not planning on overclocking this system, since I'm not well versed in the world of overclocking.

This is the memory I purchased:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231225

Thanks!

bilbat

Splendid
First off, whatever "http://www.dpbolvw.net" is - don' work! My browser is still 'hung' in that tab, half-loaded, ten minutes later... The working link (laboriously reconstructed :pt1cable: ), is:
I think?

If that is the 'right stuff', yes, it will work, and quite nicely - BUT (dammit, isn't there always a but?), you will have to adjust it 'by hand' to get that much RAM cookin' at one time! (Pretty much the case every time, on any platform, that you need to run more than one module per channel...)

Don't worry about it - I can walk you through it - and, happens that, I was just working on a candidate for 'sticky' on memory - the fourth part of which (Memory - Part IV - "Tweaking and tuning"), I just accidentally 'bumped' to the top, right by your post, so you can 'skim over' it - it's the part about 'sidestepping' XMP's shortcomings, and following that, a section on tuning two DIMMs per channel.

I can suggest that, when you want to do this, we organize a time when I'll be available for a 'solid block' of time (may take an hour or two...), and that you have another computer (other than the one we're trying to configure for the RAM) available, to 'swap' posts back & forth... As for OCing, I recommend everyone do this (gently, with a 'low-voltage', 'low-stress' OC...) just to take full advantage of their (expen$ive!) chip! There's a good 20-25% speed-up 'wasting away' in nearly every Intel CPU - and the only thing you need to 'retrieve' the extra speed, is some (any) form of 'after-market' CPU cooling. Don't need to $pend a fortune, anything will work! Bringing up a build for someone in my basement now - got 4GHz out of an i5-650 on a GA-H55M-USB3 with this (semi-POC) $27 'cheapy'...