I have a dell optiplex gx150

karen_63

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
and i want to play world of warcraft. i only have 512 memory, but want to upgrade, so, with that in mind...what amout of memory and graphics card should i get?

karen_63

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
hi, thanks for the reply deadlockedworld, i know its an old horse, but im trying to climb back out of being layed off from my job 8 months ago, and i was hoping a cheap route for playing. this computer was given to me...but i found a spec page. should keep me , for 15.00 a month wow account, entertained enough to afford a rigorous savings plan. I have a low pay job while trying to get back into my field.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx150/en/ug/specs.htm#processor

karen_63

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
thanks no cheese and deadlockedworld, well...with what i have will it run wow? I'm sure on low fps, i guess i can always try and if it runs to slow to be fun, well...there is always tiddly winks...lol

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
That pc does NOT meet the system requirements for World of Warcraft, it doesn't even come close. And it can't be upgraded enough to fix that. Sorry dude but you're gonna have to start saving for a new pc. That one isn't even good for light web browsing.

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Though the Intel IGP is connected via AGP, there isn't a physical AGP on the board; only PCI. Depending on the speed and type (PIII or Celeron) of you cpu, you might be able to play Warcraft II as deadlockedworld recommended (I won't know for sure unless you can provide it; use cpuz or a similar program (for cpuz, download is on the far left of screen). As for WoW, you could try the trial version and see how well it runs, but the minimum specs stated by Blizzard is an Intel Pentium 4 1.3 GHz or an AMD Athlon XP 1500+, so you're not likely to get pleasing frame rates, not to mention the graphics minimum is Geforce 2 series or ATI Radeon 7200.

That being said, would you be interested in Diablo II or Starcraft? There both still very entertaining games (though a bit dated), and they will run very well on your PC.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Thanks for catching that pepperman-- I just scanned the page and saw "AGP".

If you are looking for online play, starcraft and warcraft III have strong online communities. (Hes right that trying demos is the best way to see if you can handle them--however--strategy doesnt typically require good framerates so it is more likely to work (WC III is iffy)) Another good game that you might be able to handle would be Civ III (not 4), or maybe an older GTA? they have a good storyline.

G

:fou: you are a fool! im running the same pc and i play WoW like twice a week! 1ghz pIII and 1 gig of ram. keep reading. there is a version that can only hold 512mb but most of the gx150s can hold a gig. and for the record the processor can be upgraded to 2.2 ghzs with a celeron. GO TO GEEKS.COM. ke :heink: ep reading fn noobs... :heink:

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
:fou: you are a fool! im running the same pc and i play WoW like twice a week! 1ghz pIII and 1 gig of ram. keep reading. there is a version that can only hold 512mb but most of the gx150s can hold a gig. and for the record the processor can be upgraded to 2.2 ghzs with a celeron. GO TO GEEKS.COM. ke :heink: ep reading fn noobs... :heink:

I don't think you are aware that there are many different versions of each model (i.e. gx150). This particular variation is based on socket 370 (probably v. 1). The fastest cpu for this socket is the pentium 3 1.13 GHz (which was quickly pulled off the market due to instability). Furthermore, it clearly states on the mobo documentation that the max for the board is 512 mb ram.
Also, the main issue hear is the integrated graphics; the intel igp will not produce pleasing framerates.

Perhaps you should read and/or check your facts.