advice needed on purchase 8600?

http://www.xpbargains.com/index.php/send_deal/23079 looks to be the best
deal right now with 150 and 10% off.

I am an experanced PC user/ programmer and don't plan on talking to CS
unless there are problems with the equitment.... have there been many?

If so are there comparable deals with HP or Toshiba anywhere?

Just looking to get a good laptop for around 1200 (not to heavy, long
battery, can code well on and serial port).

Any adv appricieated!
8 answers Last reply
More about advice needed purchase 8600

    8600 is a good computer. that computer is light on the memory, small hard
    disk and no wifi g. I think you are getting what you are paying for. No
    real deal.

    If you're really tight on funds, maybe.

    I didn't explore the warranty

    "Root" <root@aol.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.xpbargains.com/index.php/send_deal/23079 looks to be the best
    > deal right now with 150 and 10% off.
    >
    > I am an experanced PC user/ programmer and don't plan on talking to CS
    > unless there are problems with the equitment.... have there been many?
    >
    > If so are there comparable deals with HP or Toshiba anywhere?
    >
    > Just looking to get a good laptop for around 1200 (not to heavy, long
    > battery, can code well on and serial port).
    >
    > Any adv appricieated!

    Yea warrenty is 1 year. No g ( I have a b router thats all I need for now).
    I figure if I need a 100gig hdd I will get that from ebay in a year or so.

    Should I go 1.6 with Pm or some P4 config? Also I know it has been asked but
    can you opt out of the MS OS since I am just going to put linux on?

    Thanks in adv!!

    "Alesandra" <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > 8600 is a good computer. that computer is light on the memory, small hard
    > disk and no wifi g. I think you are getting what you are paying for. No
    > real deal.
    >
    > If you're really tight on funds, maybe.
    >
    > I didn't explore the warranty
    >
    > "Root" <root@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > http://www.xpbargains.com/index.php/send_deal/23079 looks to be the
    best
    > > deal right now with 150 and 10% off.
    > >
    > > I am an experanced PC user/ programmer and don't plan on talking to CS
    > > unless there are problems with the equitment.... have there been many?
    > >
    > > If so are there comparable deals with HP or Toshiba anywhere?
    > >
    > > Just looking to get a good laptop for around 1200 (not to heavy, long
    > > battery, can code well on and serial port).
    > >
    > > Any adv appricieated!

    I just saw http://www.xpbargains.com/best_deal.php/hp_notebook_deals.htm and
    it appears to be a bit better with a larger harddrive, but less battery life
    with the p4. How are HP laptops on dependablity?

    "Root" <root@aol.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.xpbargains.com/index.php/send_deal/23079 looks to be the best
    > deal right now with 150 and 10% off.
    >
    > I am an experanced PC user/ programmer and don't plan on talking to CS
    > unless there are problems with the equitment.... have there been many?
    >
    > If so are there comparable deals with HP or Toshiba anywhere?
    >
    > Just looking to get a good laptop for around 1200 (not to heavy, long
    > battery, can code well on and serial port).
    >
    > Any adv appricieated!

    Keep in mind that with laptops, experienced users may be able to
    troubleshoot their own problems, but the cost of fixing them can get very
    high. From what I've read, they're one of the few items worth getting the
    extended warranty on. In fact, on our company laptops, we get the
    "CompleteCare" warranty, because laptops are also much more likely to die
    from accidents than desktops, as they're being carried around so much, put
    on the Starbucks table crowded beside the latte, etc.

    If you're buying this for writing code, I'd be looking to bump up the memory
    through Crucial or someone (anyone but Dell probably), and that hard drive's
    going to get limiting very fast. It's also going to be quite a slow HD
    compared to a desktop unit. The 7200 rpm 60GB drive would be my choice
    (well, it is my choice on my 9100 :)).

    Clint

    "Root" <root@aol.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.xpbargains.com/index.php/send_deal/23079 looks to be the best
    > deal right now with 150 and 10% off.
    >
    > I am an experanced PC user/ programmer and don't plan on talking to CS
    > unless there are problems with the equitment.... have there been many?
    >
    > If so are there comparable deals with HP or Toshiba anywhere?
    >
    > Just looking to get a good laptop for around 1200 (not to heavy, long
    > battery, can code well on and serial port).
    >
    > Any adv appricieated!

    Well...writing code wouldnt take up that much space... 40gb on a laptop is
    good enough, considering whatever u'd do with 4 hrs or less of battery on
    the move cant possibly be worth 40gb of space..lol...

    to me, the keyboard of 8600 series is nice to the touch.. 4.5/5 fr it

    "Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message
    | Keep in mind that with laptops, experienced users may be able to
    | troubleshoot their own problems, but the cost of fixing them can get very
    | high. From what I've read, they're one of the few items worth getting the
    | extended warranty on. In fact, on our company laptops, we get the
    | "CompleteCare" warranty, because laptops are also much more likely to die
    | from accidents than desktops, as they're being carried around so much, put
    | on the Starbucks table crowded beside the latte, etc.
    |
    | If you're buying this for writing code, I'd be looking to bump up the
    memory
    | through Crucial or someone (anyone but Dell probably), and that hard
    drive's
    | going to get limiting very fast. It's also going to be quite a slow HD
    | compared to a desktop unit. The 7200 rpm 60GB drive would be my choice
    | (well, it is my choice on my 9100 :)).
    |
    | Clint
    |
    | "Root" <root@aol.com> wrote in message
    | > http://www.xpbargains.com/index.php/send_deal/23079 looks to be the
    best
    | > deal right now with 150 and 10% off.
    | >
    | > I am an experanced PC user/ programmer and don't plan on talking to CS
    | > unless there are problems with the equitment.... have there been many?
    | >
    | > If so are there comparable deals with HP or Toshiba anywhere?
    | >
    | > Just looking to get a good laptop for around 1200 (not to heavy, long
    | > battery, can code well on and serial port).
    | >
    | > Any adv appricieated!

    I guess it depends on what you're developing, and whether the laptop is a
    desktop replacement, or an additional computer. I've got a 60GB drive in my
    desktop unit, and that's getting close to full. Of course, a good chunk of
    that is customer databases, used for testing and debugging purposes.
    Personally, I couldn't see going with less than a 60GB drive. As soon as
    the 100GB 7200 rpm drives come out, I'll probably put in a request for one
    of those... :)

    It also appeared that the original poster was interested in building things
    in a non-MS environment, and I have to confess my ignorance in that area. I
    do know that Visual Studio is a pig. :)

    Clint

    "tuned by RÄZO" <NOSPAMmillajovovich@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > Well...writing code wouldnt take up that much space... 40gb on a laptop is
    > good enough, considering whatever u'd do with 4 hrs or less of battery on
    > the move cant possibly be worth 40gb of space..lol...
    >
    > to me, the keyboard of 8600 series is nice to the touch.. 4.5/5 fr it
    >
    > "Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > | Keep in mind that with laptops, experienced users may be able to
    > | troubleshoot their own problems, but the cost of fixing them can get
    very
    > | high. From what I've read, they're one of the few items worth getting
    the
    > | extended warranty on. In fact, on our company laptops, we get the
    > | "CompleteCare" warranty, because laptops are also much more likely to
    die
    > | from accidents than desktops, as they're being carried around so much,
    put
    > | on the Starbucks table crowded beside the latte, etc.
    > |
    > | If you're buying this for writing code, I'd be looking to bump up the
    > memory
    > | through Crucial or someone (anyone but Dell probably), and that hard
    > drive's
    > | going to get limiting very fast. It's also going to be quite a slow HD
    > | compared to a desktop unit. The 7200 rpm 60GB drive would be my choice
    > | (well, it is my choice on my 9100 :)).
    > |
    > | Clint
    > |
    > | "Root" <root@aol.com> wrote in message
    > | > http://www.xpbargains.com/index.php/send_deal/23079 looks to be the
    > best
    > | > deal right now with 150 and 10% off.
    > | >
    > | > I am an experanced PC user/ programmer and don't plan on talking to CS
    > | > unless there are problems with the equitment.... have there been many?
    > | >
    > | > If so are there comparable deals with HP or Toshiba anywhere?
    > | >
    > | > Just looking to get a good laptop for around 1200 (not to heavy, long
    > | > battery, can code well on and serial port).
    > | >
    > | > Any adv appricieated!

    Yea I was going to put linux, apache, tomcat, java, and mySQL stuff on.

    40 GB to 60 is my thought since any large files, database backups will be
    done on my desktop. This is mainly ment to be my moblie station. Code on the
    go.

    Having a hard time decieding on the Dell or HP. Since the dell deal is up I
    guess I have some time to think about it. What do you think?

    "Clint" <noone@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
    > I guess it depends on what you're developing, and whether the laptop is a
    > desktop replacement, or an additional computer. I've got a 60GB drive in
    my
    > desktop unit, and that's getting close to full. Of course, a good chunk
    of
    > that is customer databases, used for testing and debugging purposes.
    > Personally, I couldn't see going with less than a 60GB drive. As soon as
    > the 100GB 7200 rpm drives come out, I'll probably put in a request for one
    > of those... :)
    >
    > It also appeared that the original poster was interested in building
    things
    > in a non-MS environment, and I have to confess my ignorance in that area.
    > do know that Visual Studio is a pig. :)
    >
    > Clint
    >
    > "tuned by RÄZO" <NOSPAMmillajovovich@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > > Well...writing code wouldnt take up that much space... 40gb on a laptop
    is
    > > good enough, considering whatever u'd do with 4 hrs or less of battery
    on
    > > the move cant possibly be worth 40gb of space..lol...
    > >
    > > to me, the keyboard of 8600 series is nice to the touch.. 4.5/5 fr it
    > >
    > > "Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > > | Keep in mind that with laptops, experienced users may be able to
    > > | troubleshoot their own problems, but the cost of fixing them can get
    > very
    > > | high. From what I've read, they're one of the few items worth getting
    > the
    > > | extended warranty on. In fact, on our company laptops, we get the
    > > | "CompleteCare" warranty, because laptops are also much more likely to
    > die
    > > | from accidents than desktops, as they're being carried around so much,
    > put
    > > | on the Starbucks table crowded beside the latte, etc.
    > > |
    > > | If you're buying this for writing code, I'd be looking to bump up the
    > > memory
    > > | through Crucial or someone (anyone but Dell probably), and that hard
    > > drive's
    > > | going to get limiting very fast. It's also going to be quite a slow
    HD
    > > | compared to a desktop unit. The 7200 rpm 60GB drive would be my
    choice
    > > | (well, it is my choice on my 9100 :)).
    > > |
    > > | Clint
    > > |
    > > | "Root" <root@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > best

    CS

    I'm a fan of good extended warranties, 512 memory, 60g 5400 hd. P4's are
    good, but battery life is under 2 hours. pm 1.6 is fine; faster is ok,
    depends on your budget. 1.4 with lots of ram is my favorite.

    I though Walmart had a line of Linus Op systems. They're out there, just
    not for me

    Go out and look at a $2100 Toshiba Tablet notebook. Plug in an external
    keyboard and mouse, you'd never know it was a laptop. Don't quibble price
    yet, just look at it and play with it for an hour.

    > Yea warrenty is 1 year. No g ( I have a b router thats all I need for
    now).
    > I figure if I need a 100gig hdd I will get that from ebay in a year or so.
    >
    > Should I go 1.6 with Pm or some P4 config? Also I know it has been asked
    but
    > can you opt out of the MS OS since I am just going to put linux on?
    >
    > Thanks in adv!!

Laptops Hewlett Packard Product