Upgrade Advice required

rizqureshy

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Hi folks,

I am about to take another step towards upgrading my PC once again. And like always on a tight budget. Budgets are like always tight here in Pakistan. So my current PC specs are this

Processor: Pentium D 915, overclocked to 3.2Ghz
Ram: Kingston 2GB, DDRII 800Mhz
Mainboard: Asus P5KPL-AM SE
VGA: XFX 9600GT 512MB DDRIII
HDD: Seagate SATA HDD 250G
LCD Display: Viewsonic VA2013wm 20"inch

My intention is to increase the gaming performance of my rig. Now, i can only either go for a Pentium Dual Core E5200-E5300 or a XFX9800GT or an another 2GB memory stick. Core 2 Duos are not an option here.

I was also hoping if i could shift to 64bit Windows 7, as all my drivers are available and won't into any compatibility issues.

Please respond fast, as i am going to make a decision today.

Many thanks tech gurus

Solution
I would definitely go for a CPU upgrade, it will make everything you do faster, and the new CPU will generate less heat so the whole case stays a bit cooler. The 9600GT is reasonable so an upgrade to a 9800GT wont gain you a ton of performance, adding more ram would help but i think your first bottleneck is the Pentium D.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

Wow that is a tough one. You could use a new CPU, more memory and a new video card. If I were you and could only get one thing I would go for the dual core E5200 or the E5300. Then upgrade the memory and then the video card last.

I would definitely go for a CPU upgrade, it will make everything you do faster, and the new CPU will generate less heat so the whole case stays a bit cooler. The 9600GT is reasonable so an upgrade to a 9800GT wont gain you a ton of performance, adding more ram would help but i think your first bottleneck is the Pentium D.

Solution

darkjuggalo2000

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
yea go cpu first...
if you eventually upgrade your gpu make sure your powersupply will handle it! so you dont end up having to get an unexpected upgrade with the graphics card...

2 gigs of ram is capable of running games but 4 would be ideal make that your next upgrade after the CPU