A little troubleshooting

g4dfli

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I just built my new system. However, the resolution seems way off like i'm blind. Everything is massive and zoomed in and when the vista welcome center popped up it said VGA adapter in place of my nvidia gtx260. So I downloaded the drivers and restarted the computer hoping it would work and it did. The Real problem is after my computer has been off for a long duration of time say an hour or two if I turn my computer on it goes back to that ugly resolution and says VGA adapter and not gtx260. I have to leave my computer on for 5 minutes more or less then restart to get the resolution back to normal and have the gtx260 appear in the welcome center screen. Any solutions to my problem please?

g4dfli

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I can't actually uninstall the nvidia driver cuz vista automatically starts to download it on it's own is that ok? Because i think it's the problem is still happening.

Procedure to clean install a new driver:

1) Download driversweeper to your desktop, or wherever you can find it easily.
2) Download your new driver to the same place.
3) Add/remove programs, uninstall any Nvidia vga drivers and programs, and any ati dirvers and programs if present.
4) Boot into safe mode. Press F8 repeatedly while booting to enter safe mode. Your display resolution may be minimal.
5) Run driversweeper. Check the selection boxes for the removal of all nvidia vga drivers and ati drivers.all nvidia.
6) Rerun driversweeper. All such components should be gone.
7) Install the new driver from the desktop or saved location.

Hope this helps.

But... a bad driver does not explain to me why you should lose settings over time.

Were you able to test the motherboard battery? It is a cr2032 3v. battery about the size of a nickel. It is used to hold the bios settings when the power is off. My theory is that it is not holding whatever the bios detects about the pci-e slot and it's contents.

Well, so much for the battery theory.

A new vga card will start out in basic resolution until the drivers are installed.

I can't imagine why the resolution should change after a power off.

The graphics card would be the easiest to test first with a new card; borrow one if you can.