Budget Gaming System w/ Overclock possiblity

vaga13ond

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Approx Purchase: Now - Mid Jan
Budget: Keeping it below $800 would be nice

System use: Will be primary in home computer but in terms of processing games will be probably the heaviest thing followed by some light video editing work and encoding. Along with all the random work stuff like database building, word processing, web browsing, etc.

Parts not required: Since this is more of an upgrade vs a complete system build I have a few parts already.

- CoolerMaster Centurion 5 case

- Antec Earthwatt 500 - Will upgrade this if the power needs dictate but I think as proposed I should be fine by a good margin.

- Hard drives: 500gb 7200 rpm WD, 1TB 5000 rpm WD

- Monitor

Overclocking: Not at first but yes.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 x2 [two monitors]

Proposed system: The idea of the system is to build a solid core that can hopefully at least last 4 years easily by overclocking & replacing some peripherals

CPU: Intel i5 750

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
Got this mobo/cpu combo @ Fry's for $249, seems okay at a glance but there seems to be a ton of 'ifs' upon reading further. Like IF you enable USB 3.0 or SATA3 you lose the x16 PCI-e slot to x8 and no idea what happens to your secondary PCI-e slot. Not that I have anything that uses these at the moment however so all this might be moot if the board itself is good. Though the price is only $30 down from full retail so I'm open to other cpu and motherboard options. USB 3.0 and SATA3 would be nice but not sure if that's really available (or even useful) at this price point.

CPU Cooler: I haven't researched any cooler for the 1156 socket. Need a recommendation here. Quiet would be nice but with the case having a 80mm & 120mm fan + an additional 80mm fan I know it's not going to be super quiet side esp with a 5850 video card in there eventually.

Memory: 4gb or 8gb... Haven't decided yet.
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 considering their price but if there's something wrong with these I'm open to others. Personally I don't like OCZ since they seem to have far too many issues with DOA and not being able to boot @ stock voltages which becomes a pain if you ever need to reset bios.

Video card: Currently have a PNY 8800 GTS 512mb that I will probably stick with for the time being until the prices on the 5850 drop to MSRP at least. No plans to go SLi/Crossfire

Comments: Overall I think this system will work for my intended purpose. I could spring for an i7 920/1336 setup but I'm not sure it will perform any better than this i5 setup or be any more future proof. I'm open to any suggestions against the parts that I have listed and am looking for something that will be a stable overclock that won't consume too much power at idle as my computer stays on 12-16 hours a day. Thanks!

p55ibexpeak

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
It's not an if. I read about it in other forums as well. The consensus is either x16 PCI-E or SATA 3. Well, it's a budget board. What did you expect? However, the Taiwanese mobo manufacturers speak Engrlish. It's not the same as English. There might be a misinterpretation. Such a tradeoff isn't too far fetched.

Are you waiting for GT 300?

vaga13ond

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
GT300 or the 5850 to come down to MSRP area are the likely candidates.

Per the mobo, after reading some more it seems the x8 PCI-e 2.0 isn't so bad as only the 5870 gets capped by that limitation and that's by ~2% so should be a non-issue in the end. I think this mobo should work out fine unless I find something nicer in the next few weeks.

Any 1156 cooler recommendations?