Sign in with
Your question

Asus p5q pro turbo mobo died

Last response: in Motherboards
July 3, 2010 3:12:09 AM

Hi,

I've been running a media pc I built using this board for about 4 months now and yesterday it just died.

There's power to the box because the blue power light is on. There's power to the mobo, because the green light it on. Fans are faning. And I hear the hd start, but no boot. And most importantly, no startup screen.

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Meantone
a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2010 8:26:06 AM

Any beeps at all?

Clear with the CMOS jumpers and remove battery for 15 seconds too. Check both mobo power connectors. Reseat RAM, GPU too.
July 3, 2010 12:21:55 PM

Thanks. No luck, still stuck. And there's no onboard speaker so this board doesn't beep.

What's really puzzling is that, as a media server, it's been running non-stop for the past 4 months with no issues, then suddenly nothing.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2010 1:16:12 PM

You could have caught a "power spike" or surge and overvolted either the PSU or mobo. Try a different PSU.
July 3, 2010 3:25:06 PM

Thanks, again.

Just to confirm, since I don't have PSUs lying about, that even though I have power to everthing else (fans, dvd, hd and the green light on the board) it could still be the PSU?

a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2010 3:56:11 PM

meantone said:
Thanks, again.

Just to confirm, since I don't have PSUs lying about, that even though I have power to everthing else (fans, dvd, hd and the green light on the board) it could still be the PSU?

Yes it could be the PSU. I live overseas and usually use 220V versus 110v. I plugged my computer into a transformer that "stepped down" 220v to 110v while leaving the PSU switch to 220. Everything worked, all lights, hard drive, but no boot. So you see, you could be getting power but it's so "low quality" that it's not enough to POST. Just a guess that it's your PSU since yo already checked all the obvious, tightened connectors, etc.

The beeps are important. Radio Shack sells the mobo speakers for about 99 cents, good investment.
July 5, 2010 5:42:45 PM

Thanks, again. I'll look into the mobo speaker.

In the mean time, I just returned from being away for a couple of days and pressed the start button and low and behold it started up. But what worries me now is that I don't know if anything I did helped or if there's still a problem lurking in the background. Guess time will tell.

!