Antec 620 stock fan vs CoolerMaster Sickleflow R4s

Status
Not open for further replies.

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hello all,

I recently bought an Antec Kuhler H2O 620.

I was about to install it, but before I do, I was wondering what would be a better fan choice to have on the radiator?

A single stock Antec fan 120mm 2000RPM (Rated @ ~80CFM & 3.4mmH2O)

OR

Push/Pull Cooler Master SickleFlow R4 120mm 2000RPM (rated @ ~70CFM & ~3.0mmH2O)

On paper, the Antec looks like it'll do a better job. But that's just on paper... you can never really believe that, right?
I'm wondering if push/pull on this type of radiator (25mm wide with approx. 21-22 fins per inch) will prove to have good benefits??

Thanks in advance,

Solution
i won't expect anything else out of the antec or any closed loop cooler. What you've reported is the absolute best that it can do on an overclock like that.

lets call it the end of a thread :) you won't see more than one degree of temp drop, maybe a lil faster for temps to go down but its not anything worth investing another 8CAD+shipping.

* on the off chance your going for real watercooling, pop by the watercooling section and teach yourself the basics - with the watercooling sticky. If you like dissection, you'll like taking your rig apart to clean out blocks :p

Lutfij

Titan
i have the near equivalent of the antec 620,(equivalent since its the badge and tubing, and pump chamber design thas a lil off) the H50.

they are excellent on paper but a real flush down the loo in terms of price/performance and expectancy.

but back on thread topic, it'll yield better temps when you have slower rpm fans on the pull side and have a high rpm fan on the push side. If space provides, you might want to add a shroud for every fan before and after the rad.

P.S: what happened here?

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hey Lutfij,

Thanks for the reply again.

I think I'll try it with the stock fan first (to save money), see how it goes. Then maybe the cooler master's and then the other suggestions that I've received from you and others.

I've been reading all the tech review websites concerning the 620, 920, H50, H60, H70, H80, etc. So I'm kinda sure of what to expect, I'm not looking for anything out of the ordinary.. just a "good" (aka decent) CPU cooler than will be quieter than the 6000RPM stock AMD fan which I'm sure is above 60dB alone =="

Lutfij

Titan
^ you will be very content with the Hyper if you are annoyed of the 6000rpm stock fan on your mobo. In fact the extra money can help you get a box full of ice cream to keep you cool all during summer.

Just to be clear, you have older tech which TDP wise isn't going to play well with an all-in-one/fakewater cooler.

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Yeah I know,

I hear that, in worst case, the Antec Kuhler H2O 620 will perform about the same as the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+/evo.

I was able to get the Antec 620 for $40 (which is why I ditched the Corsair Hydro series impulse) which is about ~$10 more than the CoolerMaster so I don't think the cost difference is unreasonable.

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

Haha my bad, I wasn't sure anyone was interested in these "all-in-one" coolers since it's not real watercooling... =="

Thanks for the fan recommendation.
For the sake of keeping costs low (while maintaining high/decent performance), I may just go one of the Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000s... for $6.60CAD. It's the best rad fan I can find that's not over $10. Prices in Canada are so jacked up it's ridiculous.

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14110AC5417

As for a fan shroud, I think i'll just wait until one of my case fans die out... then I'll just cut it up or something. Too cheap?

Anyway, as an update while using the Antec Kuhler H2O 620 w/ stock fan... I think it's performing really well. Currently, I'm at an overclock of 4.0Ghz (multiplier change to x20 w/ vCore @ 1.400v)... I think I can push it further as I've only done a half-assed overclock by up-ing the multiplier and voltage...
Temperatures are reasonably low as well (Idle under 40c, Load under 50c). AND The noise level has really died down a lot. win.

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

Yeah I figured the temps are not ideal. It just gave me huge relief as load temps were well above 60c when overlocked using the stock cooler.

Would using radiator fans like the Gentle Typhoons 1850RPM / Ultra Kaze 3000RPM lower temps significantly?

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
I'd really like to go full watercooling, but I have zero knowledge about the whole setup. I'm currently studying my my Medical College Admission Tests so I don't even have the time to do all the research required about the radiators, pumps, fans, coolants, etc... poop.

I guess, since this is my first PC build, I just wanted to get the basics down. I've only invested about $700 in this project, so it's kinda hard to justify a $200 (I'm just guessing, I really have no idea) cooling system in a budget build.

I'd definitely look into it if/when I do a bigger and better enthusiast type of build with Intel Ivy-Bridge + Nvidia Keplers (or whatever the future brings!) ;D

On a side note: could I get your opinion on the Ultra Kaze 3000? If I use one of those as a push (intake cool air from outside), would I see a significant drop in temps with the Kuhler 620?

Currently, I have the stock fan as a pull (exhausting the hot air in the case)... this is dumb, I know, but the screws were too short to do anything else D:

Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
i won't expect anything else out of the antec or any closed loop cooler. What you've reported is the absolute best that it can do on an overclock like that.

lets call it the end of a thread :) you won't see more than one degree of temp drop, maybe a lil faster for temps to go down but its not anything worth investing another 8CAD+shipping.

* on the off chance your going for real watercooling, pop by the watercooling section and teach yourself the basics - with the watercooling sticky. If you like dissection, you'll like taking your rig apart to clean out blocks :p

Solution

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Alright, thanks for all your help. It was very much appreciated.

Now I know where to go and who to talk to for advice on a real watercooling system down the road. Awesomeeee.

Status
Not open for further replies.