Solved

Memory Configuration and QVL questions

Hey guys,
I am looking to buy 12gb of memory for my Asus Rampage III Extreme motherboard but before I do, I have a few questions. I may end up buying 6gb though depending on costs but the questions still remain.

1. I was wondering what the performance difference between the ram configuration 2gb x 6 modules vs 4gb x 3 modules if there even is any

2. Do I really need to buy from the QVL from my mobo? I looked up these two sets of corsiar memory (ones in question 3) and it says the faster one will only work up to 4 dimms but the slower one will work up to 6 dimms. does that really make sense? basically, it says that one set wont work fully if all 6 dimms are filled with the memory but that doesnt make any sense to me.

3. whats the difference between some of these models i see on newegg? they seem the same in many ways and even sometimes a better one will be cheaper (at least what I think is better)
TR3X6G1600C9 for $179 with 9-9-9-24 timing
TR3X6G1600C8 for $175 with 8-8-8-24 timing
Doesnt seem to make sense but maybe theres something im missing.

Any other advice on buying ram would be great.

Thanks in advance! I posted a lot of questions lol
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about memory configuration questions
  1. Best answer
    Hello and welcome to the forums :)
    1_There is no performance difference, but 4gbx3 is "usually" better for OC'ng and requires less slots
    2_No, there are many RAMs that aren't in the QVL list but are supported.
    Where did you read about that ? (the required dimms)
    3_The second one has lower timings and only $5 cheaper,so go for it
    As for my suggestion,well i think even 6GB is more than enough for today's games/apps so you may want to consider it too,what's your usage ?
  2. Thank you for your reply and welcoming me!

Where I read about the dimms thing is on the QVL for my mother board. I posted a picture of it below to show you what I mean. I'm confused that it will only allow a certain amount of dimms for a certain memory unless I'm reading it wrong. I got the QVL pdf from Asus' website.

Well the reason I want 12gb is not so much that I'll use it up right now, its more because I want a future proofed system and once I have 12gb, I will probably never have to worry about ram again.
  3. bilbat said:

It's definitely a nice write-up but it doesn't really answer my question about the supported amount of dimms shown on the QVL
  4. idkanymore said:
    Thank you for your reply and welcoming me!

Where I read about the dimms thing is on the QVL for my mother board. I posted a picture of it below to show you what I mean. I'm confused that it will only allow a certain amount of dimms for a certain memory unless I'm reading it wrong. I got the QVL pdf from Asus' website.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8269/ramt.jpg

Well the reason I want 12gb is not so much that I'll use it up right now, its more because I want a future proofed system and once I have 12gb, I will probably never have to worry about ram again.

That's strange.I see no logical reasons about the dimms and i think it should work fine.
    You may want to check it with Corsair just to be sure
  5. Maziar said:
    That's strange.I see no logical reasons about the dimms and i think it should work fine.
    You may want to check it with Corsair just to be sure

Yes exactly! It makes no sense that one shouldn't work for all 6 dimms and the other won't. I might just end up going with g-skill but I'm going back and forth between g-skill and corsiar.

and just to be sure, I could also install three 2 x 2gb kits and that should work exactly the same as one 6 x 2gb kit, right?
  6. Performance wise ? if so then yes
  7. Thank you for your help! I went with 2 sets of 6gb G skill sets. Hope all goes well! I think ill install one set at a time to try and prevent any problems. I believe other people did this too to try and prevent problems rather than install all 12gb at once
  8. Best answer selected by idkanymore.
  9. No problem, hope you enjoy it
  10. Just a quick update. Installed all 12gb of g skill and bios picked it up right away with no problems so far.
  11. Great :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Configuration Motherboards