Sign in with
Your question

Touching the Motherboard with sweaty hands

Last response: in Motherboards
July 3, 2010 5:13:28 AM

Hey everyone, first time posting on this forum. I plan to join, but I'm a little busy with my build! Anyways, I was putting in my motherboard, I was sitting on carpet, but I made sure I never shuffled my body and that I was always touching metal in some way. Whether it be my elbow, knee, or a 3 second hold with my other hand. I began to pick up the motherboard like picking up a book. My thumb on the front heat sink (ex58A UD3R) and my four fingers on the backside PCB. My hands are naturally sweaty so my 4 fingers on the back began to sweat D:! The sweat began to adhere to the blue pcb and possibly the metal transistors? I got the motherboard fitted and left it alone for about 3 hours. I don't plan to continue with the build until thursday, which is when I get the I7 930. So basically, two questions. Is sitting on carpet, with all my essential parts on the anti-static bag and on top of wood, bad for any components? And also, is sweat/oils from your fingers bad for the motherboard. There was never any power source connected to the mobo except for the mini battery.
a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2010 5:35:49 AM

You can rinse the board off in the sink as long as it's dry when you apply power to it. As long as the system and board are dry before being powered up there is no problem. Work with the build on a table, not a carpet.
m
l
July 3, 2010 5:38:39 AM

Well i made a makeshift table, a big piece of plywood under everything I had. And really? SINK WATER? that osunds dangerous
m
l
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 3, 2010 12:08:31 PM

If you're worried, use an anti static strap, available for as little as $1. I worked at Dell, and they use the esd boot straps to stay grounded.
m
l
July 3, 2010 6:37:46 PM

I'm not too worried about the static part of the assembly, more towards the sweat. And thanks for responding everyone
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2010 8:30:41 PM

spartan1o5 said:
I'm not too worried about the static part of the assembly, more towards the sweat. And thanks for responding everyone

Most people are not. But that is a mistake. It does more damage than people think. And its not always immediate damage. Take static seriously.
m
l
!