Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HELP! Parallel Dual-GPU Setup (Watercooling)

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • GPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
June 16, 2012 12:06:32 PM

Hey guys :hello: 

I'm planning to do a parallel watercooled setup for two GPUs for an upcoming loop build, I'll be using these blocks http://shop.watercool.de/epages/WatercooleK.sf/de_DE/?O...

But what I wanted to know is that, is the ability to have a parallel setup (without the use of bridges, but instead, using connectors/tubing) affected by the block's layout? Since I noticed both the 680 and 7970 blocks from Heatkiller have different layouts, in the 680's layout, the flow seems to circulate around the whole block, but on the 7970's block, the flow seems to circulate around one area of the block from the inlet(s):

GTX 680 Block: http://shop.watercool.de/epages/WatercooleK.sf/de_DE/?O...

HD7970 Block: http://shop.watercool.de/epages/WatercooleK.sf/de_DE/?O...

More about : parallel dual gpu setup watercooling

a c 239 K Overclocking
June 16, 2012 2:27:19 PM

Take another look both circulate around the whole block the flow layout has to cover all the hot areas, excellent choice going the Heatkiller route by the way.

I am curious do you think a parallel cooling route will cool better than a series route?

Either way you run it the primary card will always run the hottest it's doing more work, here's my 580GTX setup in series, load temperature is 40c below the stock cooling fan setup on both cards.

m
l
June 16, 2012 2:51:30 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Take another look both circulate around the whole block the flow layout has to cover all the hot areas, excellent choice going the Heatkiller route by the way.

I am curious do you think a parallel cooling route will cool better than a series route?

Either way you run it the primary card will always run the hottest it's doing more work, here's my 580GTX setup in series, load temperature is 40c below the stock cooling fan setup on both cards.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p250/4ryan6/CompSLIView.png

Thanks. :) 

Nope, I'm well aware that series and parallel both have similar, if not the same performance. The parallel is just an aesthetic factor for my build. The 7970 seems to be only cooling one area per one inlet the way I see it, as it looks like the water doesn't circulate around the whole block, but rather only one area, whilst the other area seems to be getting flowrate from another inlet
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
June 16, 2012 3:23:22 PM

first off your understanding of how that block works is skewed bad the water will flow from one side to the other always. the raised section on the block allows for the water to flow from one side to the other but if you want to do a parallel setup take a look at my build I am doing the same thing.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-274855_29_200.ht...
June 16, 2012 4:01:11 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
first off your understanding of how that block works is skewed bad the water will flow from one side to the other always. the raised section on the block allows for the water to flow from one side to the other but if you want to do a parallel setup take a look at my build I am doing the same thing.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-274855_29_200.ht...

Oh I see, I wasn't aware of that, thanks a lot for pointing that out man :)  I still have plenty of things to learn about in watercooling :p 

Will do, thanks!
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 16, 2012 11:38:59 PM

**here's my 580GTX setup in series, load temperature is 40c below the stock cooling fan setup **

I should point out Ryans set up is far from standard btw, not everyone is going to get as good a drop on their cards as he has managed, its too much work for them :p 
Moto
m
l
June 17, 2012 8:28:47 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
**here's my 580GTX setup in series, load temperature is 40c below the stock cooling fan setup **

I should point out Ryans set up is far from standard btw, not everyone is going to get as good a drop on their cards as he has managed, its too much work for them :p 
Moto

Well aware, I saw his [overkill] setup thread months ago :p  :lol: 
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
June 17, 2012 8:47:23 AM

:lol:  overkill - but thas some good overkill!
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 17, 2012 11:08:28 AM

Its not overkill hehe, in W/c, there is no overkill, only over-radding :) 
Moto
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
June 17, 2012 11:45:09 AM

:lol:  great rule!
m
l
June 17, 2012 12:02:22 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Its not overkill hehe, in W/c, there is no overkill, only over-radding :) 
Moto

I don't think that's the first time I've heard that.. :lol: 
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
June 17, 2012 5:10:53 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys! Ry
m
l
a c 331 K Overclocking
June 18, 2012 12:37:02 AM

The only downfall in a parallel GPU setup is that if you have blocks that are overly restrictive, the water will always follow the path of least resistance, which can cause the first block to become somewhat starved for flow, especially when filling and bleeding a loop. Airlocks can be common, so just be aware of that when filling and purging air. Once you get past that, you shouldn't have any issues.

Parallel does have advantages in restrictive block setups over serial as flow drops by 1/2 with each parallel split, but restriction does as well, also. Due to the drop and equalization of restriction over 2 blocks simultaneously (vs. each block in succession) your overall flow rate should be marginally better through multiple blocks.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 18, 2012 12:50:01 AM

a valid point, if paralleling your loop try to keep the resistance on each line as equal as possible. try to prevent the water from flowing in one side faster than the other side. i found that by putting the most restrictive part first in each side or lane of the parallel loop, it really did not matter the order the blocks afterward. as long as the total distance traveled by the water is about the same on both or each side. my total system flow rate was increased or doubled. there by relieving the stress on my pump and the amount of pressure/vacuum on the system itself is considerably less.
m
l
June 28, 2012 12:00:59 AM

Best answer selected by -Jackson.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 28, 2012 12:31:53 AM

Yay fer shiny blocks :-)
Moto
m
l