Sign in with
Your question

Another 8800 GTS with artifacts/video corruption

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 16, 2009 12:32:59 AM

Firstly, it started one day during bootup, video corruption/artifacts/what ever the hell you want to call it. Previous night had no errors at all. I could not stop it from happening during bootup, which then meant Win7 would not boot, so I took out the graphics card, put it in my older computer, and it worked straight away, so I dropped it back in.

However, a few days later, while playing Dragon Age Origins, I got the corruption/artifacts again, followed by a no signal message from the monitor, but the game was still running. Reboot the computer, instant artifacts, usually goes away after a few trial reboots. This is happening more randomly now.

It can also happen, from a cold bootup (i.e. computer has been of for many hours) by just trying to start internet explorer, or any program at all.

Yesterday, I thought it was dead as it would not even run in the other computer, then, an hour later it was ok. Ran for 4 hours last night, and 2 hours today ok.

I installed Rivatuner and have set the fan speed to 100% now, just in case, as it is Summer here. However, my CPU is only reaching mid to late 40 degrees (celcius [must be under 60 so the CPU is definately not the culpret in my eyes]). Currently running at 37 degrees (CPU) when its about 30 degrees outside. Thus I thought the video should be ok as well, but I turned up the fan now as I said. Video card is at 55 degrees atm. It is under 70 degrees underload (rated to 100 degrees), but as said, this is after upping the fan speed.

I do also know that the max AMPs on my 12v rail is only 18amps. Yes I have read that it should 28 - 32, but it has worked fine for 18 months. I did not know that the AMPs of my PSU was insufficient when I bought it.

I did have it overclocked for a few weeks, but turned it down about 3 weeks or more before any errors occured. Restored the standard clock settings cause my comp.uter did not really need to be overclocked as my games load almost instantly anyway. COH and DAO load even the biggest maps in under 20 secs. I was running without Anti-Aliasing (spelling?) as I dont care for that anyway. Funnily I turned that on last night and could not get any artifacts.

Anyone know why it just started doing this after 18months of happiness?

The reason why I am baffled is that it can do it when cold, or warm/hot. Under load, under no load. But cannot be produced at will.

SYSTEM
======
* Win7 x64
* Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (not overclocked)
* Asus P5K mother board
* 4Gb DDR2-1066 memory Corsair CM2X2048-8500C5D
* Gigabyte GeForce 8800 GTS (not overclocked)
* Samsung 320GB HD321KJ HDD - SATA II 7200rpm
* Cooler Master Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW
* OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS
* ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner
* ASUS 22" monitor (2ms) - set to 1680x1050
December 26, 2009 4:07:54 PM

UPDATE: I tried running OCCT, gpu memory test.

On the first run, just when the corruption was starting, I ran the GPU mem test, it said there was 4 possible errors.

However, every subsequent test has found no errors, and yet the problem remains.

I am at a loss.

I have Win XP 32 bit installed on another drive, and it does it as well.
m
l
January 3, 2010 11:20:23 PM

Answer is, MANUALLY set the voltages for MB and CPU in the BIOS.

All is now ok.
m
l
Anonymous
January 15, 2010 10:48:36 AM

I am having similar issues with my machine running Windows 7 pro

What did you change in the BIOS?
m
l
!