Sign in with
Your question

Help with newbuild

Last response: in Systems
December 16, 2009 12:09:53 PM

Hi all,
Just looking for your valid advice on a new build system.

I'm looking to upgrade in the new year as my cpu and motherboard are straining to run some game and just getting a bit outdated.
At the moment i have got a amd 64x2 5000+ with msi geforce 6100sm-m2 motherboard am2, my gpu is bfg 8800gts 640mb oc and 4gb corsair xms2 800mhz. I am running Windows 7 64bit

I do everything on my pc but mainly its for gaming, i would like to go to intel as they seem to have better reviews for gaming.

I am running a tight budget but i am keeping some parts out of the above pc ( ram and gpu ) for now but not sure to upgrade to ddr3 as it would be more future proof, but the components are more expencive.

I am looking at about £140 for the cpu but only about £70-£90 for the motherboard. The £140 is based on a q9400 but could put more towards the motherboard if i get a cheaper cpu like a core 2 duo or stick with amd.

I was looking to upgrade to ddr3 and/or get a sli motherboad as i am looking to get two gtx260, but with the budget i have got it looks very doubtful,

Please can i have your advice on what to do, thankyou all

Mark

More about : newbuild

a b V Motherboard
December 16, 2009 12:35:31 PM

If you're on a tight budget, you should stick with AMD. I don't know the prices in the UK, but here in the US the best AMD CPU (Phenom II X4 955) is nearly $50 cheaper than the cheapest Intel CPU I would recommend (the i5-750). In addition, the motherboards for AMD are generally cheaper as well.

You should also consider switching to an ATI GPU, but if you can't afford one, stick with what you have for a while.
Related resources
December 16, 2009 12:52:57 PM

Hi BohleyK,
i have tried to edit my post and it tells me i can not edit the post
December 16, 2009 1:05:15 PM

You can start a post under this one. I promise I won't be mad [:bohleyk]

Just copy and paste the sticky and insert it under this then fill in the blanks. The sticky helps us figure out what your needs and wants are and helps us help you.
December 16, 2009 1:46:01 PM

BohleyK said:
You can start a post under this one. I promise I won't be mad [:bohleyk]

Just copy and paste the sticky and insert it under this then fill in the blanks. The sticky helps us figure out what your needs and wants are and helps us help you.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Start of 2010 BUDGET RANGE: £240 cpu + mobo Before / After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Monitor, psu 460w gigabyte, gpu, ram, optical drive, hdds, case

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Scan.co.uk, Aria.co.uk, advancetec.co.uk COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: UK

PARTS PREFERENCES: Cpu= Amd or Intel. Motherboard= Nvidia for system tools or sli if possible

OVERCLOCKING: Yes and sli if possible

MONITOR RESOLUTION:1280x1024 and1680x1050 in the future

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Upgrading my cpu and motherboard, i would like sli for the future. i have amd 5000+ cpu at the moment and would like to upgrade it to a intel quad core but that dont leave much for the motherboard. would you advice on getting a core 2 quad or even a amd phenom II as they are cheaper and getting a better motherboard. also would it be advisable to upgrade to ddr3

Thanks for the help
December 16, 2009 8:00:24 PM

Well I found you what you are looking for in your price range. Its an Intel i5 setup which is much better than what you had planned on getting. Along with the i5 processor is the ASrock P55 Extreme SLI/Crossfire motherboard. If its anything like its 1366 Extreme brother, this motherboard is going to OC your i5 to 4Ghz on air with a quality third party cooler.

You did not specify if the RAM needed to be taken into account with this budget so I left it out. You will have to use DDR3 RAM on any P55 setup. Only AM2+ will allow you to use PII's and DDR2 RAM. A good AM2+ combination would be better then an DDR2 Intel alternative. This P55 setup is most likely the best you are going to get with your budget.

Price in checkout: $257.24

Intel Core i5:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Intel-Core-i5-750-Quad-C...(Lynnfield)-8M-Cache-LGA1156-CPU-Retail

ASrock P55 Extreme:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asrock-P55-Extreme-Intel...
December 16, 2009 8:17:11 PM

Here is the AM2+ alternative if you can not afford DDR3 RAM at the moment. The PII X4 955 will outperform or equal any Intel DDR2 processor counterpart. Its an excellent all around processor and excels in gaming and can also be used in AM2+ motherboards while being an AM3 processor, got to love AMD. The motherboard is the Asus Crosshair II which is an SLI motherboard only. You will not be able to use Crossfire on this motherboard if you decide to get an ATi card in the future. Its an excellent motherboard besides not being able to use DDR3 and Crossfire.

Price in checkout: $234.89

Phenom II X4 955:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-955-Bla...

Asus Crosshair II Formula:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asus-Crosshair-II-Formul...(x16)-DDR2-1066-800-SATA-II-SATA-RAID-ATX
December 17, 2009 8:07:42 AM

Thanks these are perfect BohleyK,
i may go for the phenom II x4 995/ Asus Crosshair II Formula as it is a cheaper option and i already have the ddr2 ram. The ddr3 ram would be on top of my budget and all depends on what i can get. would the i5 setup out perform the Phenom II setup on gaming and is the ddr3 worth the exrta cost

Thanks for you quick reply
December 17, 2009 8:32:52 AM

The i5 will perform better but not a large amount better for gaming. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. For myself, I went with the PII X4 955 and am completely satisfied. I don't really do much more than game, surf, and watch movies so it does everything I need. I do some encoding and editing once in awhile but nothing extreme and the 955 performs well in that area too.

The i5 will outperform or equal the PII's in almost every sector. For gaming you won't really lose much at all and saved some bank. It comes down to how much you want to spend and what your needs are.

DDR2 will hold your system back. I've read some people still haven't upgraded from DDR2 to DDR3 and have no complaints. You will want to upgrade in the not too distant future to DDR3 once applications start taking more advantage.
December 17, 2009 8:39:09 AM

BDDAZZA,
thanks for the quick reply, the phenom seems to be a good cpu and everyone recommends it, it is a upgrade to my ( 5000+ dual core). My gpu is a bfg 8800gts 640mb oc and seems to run games ok but looking to get 2 gtx260s for sli in the future. i like amd and never had a problem with them but i like nvidia and amd are doing less sli boards as time goes on. I have a 6100 geforce motherboard that runs fine too but just getting on a bit.

I was looking at going to ddr3 if it is worth the money, but i have already got xms2 4gb ram in my system and not had it long. would you stick with ddr2 or go with ddr3 for the extra cost and would you recommend to stick with amd and try and find a ddr2/ddr3 motherboard with sli.

Im happy with the Asus crosshair II as it has sli on a amd board and it is a big upgrade too the one i have got but it is still ddr2 and not ddr3 what would you recommend doing

Thankyou all for your help you have been great
December 17, 2009 8:44:32 AM

BohleyK,
Thanks again, i think the PII x4 955 is the better option due to the cost. i would like to upgrade to ddr3 but cant find and am3 boards with sli (is there any).

would you recommend the change of gpu and what is the match for the gtx260 216sp

thanks again
December 17, 2009 8:51:46 AM

BDDAZZA,
Thanks, i think i may go to ati/amd. things will be better and a lot more simply, i will have about £150 for a gpu card and will be looking to get a identical one to put in crossfire 6 months later any ideas. i will still need to use my 8800gts in the mean while.

I have a friend buying my system off me but wanted to know what i wanted to keep but if i upgrade to ddr3 am3 ati i wont be keeping anything apart from my gpu and he will be having that when i get my new ati one.
December 17, 2009 9:10:31 AM

BDDazza,
Thanks for your help. As amd cpu and mobo are a lot cheaper i would go to ddr3, and the gpu you recommended is dx11, i was looking at going to dx11 in the far future as i am running win7 64bit. does the board need to have dx11 support to get dx11 and with the crossfire does the second pcie slot make a big difference on the times eg: (1st pcie 2.0 x 16 and 2nd pcie 2.0 x4).

With the cpu being cheaper with amd i could budget about £70-£80 for the board or a bit higher not inc the delivery.

what would you recommend.
December 17, 2009 9:21:44 AM

BDDazza,
to get dx11 would the mobo need to be dx11
December 17, 2009 9:21:52 AM

At the moment there is no reason to buy nVidia cards. ATi has completely taken over with the 5000 series. They are less expensive and better performers. A 5850 is practically two 260's in a single GPU card while still being less expensive. nVidia will be launching there new cards dubbed Fermi in 2010 but those will most likely be more expensive and on par with ATi 5000 series cards.

A 5770 will be a better option than a GTX 260. Its less expensive, performs just as well, has DX 11, great Crossfire scaling, runs extremely cool, and uses very little power.

I normally do not recommend SLI boards unless the OP has GTX 200 series cards already. There is really no sense in buying GTX 200 series cards anymore. Since you have an nVidia card already I've been suggesting an SLI board just because you will save since you won't be spending on a GPU card.

If you really want an nVidia SLI setup here is an AM3 SLI board. I've checked all of your listed sites and could only find it on advanctec. The motherboard is the MSI NF750-G55 AM3 nForce 750a SLI ATX. This motherboard has an onboard nVidia GPU as well so you can HybridSLI your 8800 with it until you get your GTX 260's

http://www.advancetec.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE...

If you can find the MSI NF980-G65 AM3 ATX available anywhere it uses dual 16x PCI lanes instead of 8x8x lanes on the motherboard above. There isn't much difference between the two but the dual 16x lanes will perform slightly better.

December 17, 2009 9:30:10 AM

BohleyK,
Thank you so much with your help, this was what i was looking for, but BDDazza has converted me lol, i think it is a better option to go with amd am3 with a ati card as they cheaper and have dx11 but when i upgrade my mobo, cpu and ram could i still use my 8800gts for the meanwhile.
December 17, 2009 9:36:37 AM

[:bohleyk:7] My work here is done.
December 17, 2009 9:46:34 AM

BohleyK, BDDazz
Thankyou both for all your help you have saved me a lot of trouble and money. Sorry if i have been any trouble i have only ever worked with nvidia, best to stick with what you know. but after all your great advice it would be silly to stick with nvidia and get there 200 series cards after the information you both have given me.

BohleyK, there was a lot of options you have given me and they are all great i will look through them all and take yours and BDDazza advice.

thanks again

!