Updating a new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have bought a new laptop and would like to update all the settings /
software and data files from the old one. I do not particularly want to
install everything again and transfer files by disc etc,.................so
how is it done?

First, in general, you can't move installed programs. So, to that
extent, you ARE facing a "reinstall".

If BOTH computers are running Windows XP, there is a "files and settings
transfer Wizzard" that comes with/is part of Windows XP. It's under
Start / Programs / Accessories / System tools.

If you want to spend some money, there are some commercial products that
do this as well. At least one of these (Aloha Bob's PC Relocator, from
Eisenware) does purport to be able to move installed programs as well
(as far as I know, it's the only exception to the rule, and I'm not sure
that it does the job 100% perfectly, but nothing else even claims to try).

If the old PC is not running XP, they you almost have to use one of the
commercial programs, all of which have various limits on what they can do.

The actual movement should be over a network if at all possible
(Ethernet to Ethernet). Second choices are USB-to-USB (requires special
cable and software) and CD-R/RW media.

The Bodster wrote:

> I have bought a new laptop and would like to update all the settings /
> software and data files from the old one. I do not particularly want to
> install everything again and transfer files by disc etc,.................so
> how is it done?

Mike

Splendid

The Bodster wrote:
> I have bought a new laptop and would like to update all the settings /
> software and data files from the old one. I do not particularly want to
> install everything again and transfer files by disc etc,.................so
> how is it done?

If you have similar hardware and you want to use the old os on the new
machine and you have drivers for the old os on the new machine, you may
be able to GHOST
the old machine to a CD and restore it on the new machine.
It's much harder, but you can backup your old system, install the old os
on the new machine then restore the backup.
Every time I've tried this with different hardware it's "almost worked".
Invariably reloaded the whole shebang to fix little weird problems that
cropped up. M$ goes to great lengths to prevent you copying your system.

To prevent this problem in the future, use as little Microsoft software
as possible. That way, you can still use the old stuff while M$
continually churns their SW with useless new bloat...er..features and
format changes to keep the revenue stream up.

Bite the bullet and reload everything.
mike
--
Return address is VALID.
Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment

The Files and Settings Wizard will work moving from 98 SE to XP,
although not as well as XP to XP. I had to use an external drive as an
intermediary.

Lisa

Barry Watzman wrote:

> First, in general, you can't move installed programs. So, to that
> extent, you ARE facing a "reinstall".
>
> If BOTH computers are running Windows XP, there is a "files and settings
> transfer Wizzard" that comes with/is part of Windows XP. It's under
> Start / Programs / Accessories / System tools.
>
> If you want to spend some money, there are some commercial products that
> do this as well. At least one of these (Aloha Bob's PC Relocator, from
> Eisenware) does purport to be able to move installed programs as well
> (as far as I know, it's the only exception to the rule, and I'm not sure
> that it does the job 100% perfectly, but nothing else even claims to try).
>
> If the old PC is not running XP, they you almost have to use one of the
> commercial programs, all of which have various limits on what they can do.
>
> The actual movement should be over a network if at all possible
> (Ethernet to Ethernet). Second choices are USB-to-USB (requires special
> cable and software) and CD-R/RW media.
>
> The Bodster wrote:
>
> > I have bought a new laptop and would like to update all the settings /
> > software and data files from the old one. I do not particularly want to
> > install everything again and transfer files by disc etc,.................so
> > how is it done?

How did you use in with 98SE, since it didn't exist until XP was
released (e.g. where did you get whatever you used with 98SE)?

| How did you use in with 98SE, since it didn't exist until XP was
| released (e.g. where did you get whatever you used with 98SE)?

The XP disc can be inserted into the 98 machine to use the file and settings
transfer wizard.

It's been a few months, but as I remember, I transferred a program from
the new XP machine to the old 98 SE machine. Or did I run the program
on the XP machine over the network? That program saved my files &
settings in a form that XP could import. It worked very well, apart
from the inconvenience.

Lisa

The Bodster wrote:

> I have bought a new laptop and would like to update all the settings /
> software and data files from the old one. I do not particularly want to
> install everything again and transfer files by disc etc,.................so
> how is it done?

I could think of two main approaches but what OSes are we talking about?
If you only have an OEM OS on your new machine, I believe you are
stuck with some installation work ...

--
John Doue

ree

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 03:43:44 GMT, Barry Watzman
<WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:

>How did you use in with 98SE, since it didn't exist until XP was
>released (e.g. where did you get whatever you used with 98SE)?

Beside using the XP CD, you can also create a Files & Settings
Transfer Wizard floppy diskette.

I just moved my boss from Windows NT to XP Pro with only a couple of
files the wizard didn't care for.

All in all, I was happy to save using an IntelliMover license, and he
seems to be doing all right considering he just went through a
migration.