Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard will not post.

Last response: in Motherboards
July 3, 2010 9:48:35 AM

Hello all,
I have a ASRock A785GXH/128M motherboard. I cannot seem to get this motherboard to post no matter what I do. I have already RMA'd the motherboard for the same issues and I am not sure if it is bad luck or if it is something I am doing. I have tried only used the bare essentials to get this motherboard to show some life but still get nothing. What I am getting is the motherboard will power on, all fans, and drives seem to turn on. But I get nothing on my screen what so ever. I have tried the onboard video and two different video cards and nothing. All of my components work fine with my other motherboard. Also if I clear the CMOS and turn my power supply on the computer will automatically turn on. I just can't seem to figure out what it is. Any help is greatly appreciated.

PC Specs-
PSU- RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W
CPU- AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz Socket AM2+
RAM- OCZ Gold Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
GPU- Radeon HD 4770
OS- Windows XP 32bit

If any other info is needed please let me know.

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to add-When I turned on the first motherboard I smelt a burning smell that stunk up my room. Also when I turned on this second motherboard I smelt the same smell but only for a few seconds and then it went away.

More about : motherboard post

a c 156 V Motherboard
July 3, 2010 12:02:31 PM

First thing, Raidmax PSU's tend to be junk. And sometimes AsRock motherboards aren't much better.

You have worked through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
yes?

I mean work through, not just read over it.

Breadboard - that will isolate any kind of case problem.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...
Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.
You do have a case speaker installed, right? If not, you really, really need one. If you case or motherboard didn't come with a system speaker you can buy one here:
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to.

You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems.
Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU.

To test the PSU, the best bet is to replace the PSU with a known good one of similar power capacity. Brand new, out of the box, untested does not count as a known good PSU.

Next best thing is to get (or borrow) a digital multimeter and check the PSU.

Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot. All of the outputs should be +/- 5% except the -12 volt output. That is 10%.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU. You can carefully probe the pins from the back of the main power connector.

Look at the breadboard thread. It tells you how to build and test in stages.
m
l
July 14, 2010 1:02:30 AM

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for my late reply. I ended up RMAing the motherboard again. I just received the replacement yesterday....

Now I have a new issue.. I got the motherboard to post and even got windows installed but had to fight constant shut downs while doing it. The computer is randomly shutting down and there does not seem to be a time pattern. Sometimes I can get into windows and then it shuts down, sometimes I get to the bios screen and it shuts down.

I have tried just using 1 hard drive and 1 stick of ram and still had random shut downs. I have disconnected the power switch and jumped the motherboard to turn on and it still shuts down randomly. I have replaced the cmos battery and cleared the cmos and still have the problem. I am at a loss as to what could be causing it. I have also tried everything out of the case and inside the case. I loosened some screws on the motherboard and tightened them thinkinng there might be a bad ground connections but still the same issue persists.

Now before I get that the PSU is bad let me say that when I put my components back onto my other motherboard everything runs great I can game all day and not have the computer overheat or shut down.

I am at a loss as to what could be causing this. I don't know if im just having bad luck or if I am just getting sent bad motherboards. Any help is greatly appreciated.
m
l
!