Sign in with
Your question

Bit of a strange issue/question >_>

Last response: in Systems
December 16, 2009 2:34:47 PM

Good evening, this may sound like a silly question to the more experianced folk that understand overclocking.

last week i brought a pre-built and pre-overclocked system from a well known computer e-store based in england, it worked fine for about 2 days allthough hitting 90c on the cores in a prime 95 test.

Because of that, i put in a 120mm fan (Xilence Red Wing 120mm) on the front of the pc which dropped the temps by about 10c. all was fine for the entire day, however the morning after i turned the pc on, it auto rebooted just before entering bios, then during the second time it loaded past bio and came up with "DMI Pool data update......success" (Or something like that!).

2 minutes later my mother board started screaming, capacitor squeal i belive when the coils are about to pop, ever since that issue had not gone away, tried everything. cleared the cmos to go back to stock settings, took some fans out, changed the psu etc etc. it was royally discombobulated.

RMA'd it back and they are replacing the faulty parts as i type, now the question is, would a 120mm cpu fan cause that? (Connected by molex).

I find it allmost impossible for that to happen from a fan without any kind of electrical short, but at the same time it seems to be a very strange co-incidence, or could the people that pre-overclocked it not done it correctly, OR! faulty mother board...

Im quite confused tbh, any insight would be super awesome.

system specs of the system are as follows;

Graphics Card ATI HD5770
Memory Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel
Motherboard Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
Optical Drive LG GH22NS30 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter
Power Supply Corsair TX 650W ATX2.2 SLI Compliant PSU
Processor Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz D0 Overclocked to 3.40GHz!
Processor Cooler Akasa AK-967 Nero Direct Contact Heatpipe CPU Cooler
Sound Card 7.1 High Definition OnBoard Sound Card
Other Arctic Silver 5 heatsink compound professionally hand installed by our technicians

Thanks again for any help
:) 
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2009 2:41:50 PM

grainy said:

I find it allmost impossible for that to happen from a fan without any kind of electrical short, but at the same time it seems to be a very strange co-incidence, or could the people that pre-overclocked it not done it correctly, OR! faulty mother board...

It's unlikely, highly unlikely, that a fan would cause that. Your second possibility is the most likely.

And capacitors do not "squeal". They may pop or explode and stink, though.
December 16, 2009 2:51:12 PM

Thanks for the reply jsc,

There was definitely a squeel which was coming from the mother board, i assumed it was capacitors making the nose, however they didnt pop (yet), it was a very strangely pitched screech/squeel. if it didnt come from the capacitors im not quite sure where it could have come from.

The sound was around the processor area, but the radius was quite large, which is why i thought it was the capacitors as it was an electrical screech.

Any ideas where it could have possibly come from? :( 

Thanks again for the help!
Related resources
December 16, 2009 2:55:43 PM

Improperly built inductors and transformers will do that, but Gigabyte and Corsair quality control is pretty good.
December 16, 2009 3:00:38 PM

Ah i see!

Ive never once had issues with gigabyte or corsair tbh which suprised me, but i guess sometimes these things happen.

Many thanks for the help :) 
December 16, 2009 3:26:10 PM

I'm not sure I was that helpful, but you're welcome.
!