I7 quad core vs amd 8 quad regarding Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chloe183

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Hello, I am going to university for music next year and they gave me some specifications for what they consider best to run the programs we need. They said 15" with no less than 4 cores. When I went in to staples the guy said i7 would be best for the program Finale, the problem is I don't know if he really understood what Finale was. I was just wondering is i7 really worth the extra cash for normal use plus Finale?
Thanks.

Solution
Unless Finale has gotten severely bloated and horribly unoptimized, older versions used to run quite well on my old single core Athlon XP, lol. An i5 of ANY kind should be plenty.

We're not talking hardcore music production with Finale. It's just notation software. If it were "true" music production software, it would benefit a little from an i7, but it's not. I think the guy at Staples just assumed that was because he actually had NO idea, lol.

If you ever plan on doing a lot of video editing, get an i7, otherwise, get an i5. Even that will be WAY overkill, actually.

The official hardware requirements for Finale 2012: http://makemusic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3545/~/system-requirements-for-notation-products

Finale 2012...
Unless Finale has gotten severely bloated and horribly unoptimized, older versions used to run quite well on my old single core Athlon XP, lol. An i5 of ANY kind should be plenty.

We're not talking hardcore music production with Finale. It's just notation software. If it were "true" music production software, it would benefit a little from an i7, but it's not. I think the guy at Staples just assumed that was because he actually had NO idea, lol.

If you ever plan on doing a lot of video editing, get an i7, otherwise, get an i5. Even that will be WAY overkill, actually.

The official hardware requirements for Finale 2012: http://makemusic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3545/~/system-requirements-for-notation-products

Finale 2012 for Windows®

XP/Vista/Windows 7 (64-bit compatible)
DVD-ROM drive (for installation)
800X600 minimum monitor resolution
Minimum 512MB RAM (1GB or more recommended)
600MB hard drive space required for software and user manual. An additional 2GB hard drive space is required for all VST/AU sounds included with Finale 2012

Finale 2012 for Macintosh®

G4 or higher recommended. OS 10.5-10.7 (Mac-Intel or Power PC)
DVD-ROM drive (for installation)
800x600 minimum monitor resolution
Minimum 512MB RAM (1GB or more recommended)
700MB hard drive space required for software and user manual. An additional 2GB hard drive space is required for all VST/AU sounds included with Finale 2012

Nothing at ALL about the CPU, and certainly not an i7.

Solution

Chloe183

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Thank you for all your answers! It is greatly appreciated, I shall broaden my search to i5's. I actually went and talked to Futureshop today and he said the same thing as well. I may end up doing some editing, but probably not very much so the middle ground of i5 is a great idea! Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.