Hardware issues (not sure what compnents)

tankzilla

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
Hey Tomshardware users, I'm not sure whether this is the right part of the forum to post in but please move it if it's missplaced. This is going to be somewhat of a essay and while English isn't my native tounge I hope you can bare with me.

It all started roughly 2 weeks ago, I got a BSOD with the error code of 0x000004e. Restarted the computer and it all ran fine for 2 days or so, then once again BSOD with another code, this time (not 100% sure) it was x7a. Simply restarting the computer didn't work this time since it would just BSOD or lock up in the boot section.

The first part I tried replacing was the harddrive, I first used an 40 gb IDE and then a 750gb sata2, none of them worked, same issue all over. The sata2 disk was brand new out of the box and the IDE one was an old one I've used a lot of my moms computer.

I then moved the memorys around, placed them in different slots, dual channel and non dual channel. Used one at the time etc.

As I don't have a built in gfx in my motherboard I haven't been able to try the graphics card.

I have switched all cables, tried a different power supply, cleaned it with compressed air, haven't had my hands on any compnents without wearing one of those anti electric bracers.

I've tried several versions of the memtest86+, windows 7 built in memory check. Hdtune for the disk and various programs to test all sorts of things (this isnt the first forum I've posted this in, the other ones are in swedish though)

Tried with all windows 7 updates, tried with no updates, just some updates, with and without AVG, norton 32 and various programs. Catalyst 10.3 .4 .5 and .6

No test shows that anything is wrong, neither is the temperature all that high.

I've basicly tried all the "try this then, that might work" that you usualy get from forums and supports. Now I do have warranty on all my stuff but if I send them in they will be gone for a good 3 weeks and I can't affor to not have my computer around (buisness mostly)

The computer worked very well for about a half year, it's only recently it's been doing this. I have tried more things than what I've written here but I can't think of much more atm. If we could get a brainstorm going or something I'll update with all the things I've tried and how it turned out.

My components are:
Asus M4n68t
Gfx 5770 1gb ddr5
2x2gb 1066mhz corsair rams
AMD phenom quadcore 945
Corsair 450w powersupply

Cheers from Sweden!

G

is this the error?
STOP: 0x0000004E PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

The PFN_LIST_CORRUPT stop error code has a value of 0x0000004E. This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.

Cause
This error is typically caused by a driver passing a bad memory descriptor list. For example, the driver might have called MmUnlockPages twice with the same list.
If a kernel debugger is available, examine the stack trace.

That is all what I could find. Hope it helps :)
I have recently dealt with the BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL <-- ram,HDD or heat related.
It took over 6 hours of hardware troubleshooting to find the source of which was the processor overheating and the fans being too slow due to the thermal compound not working efficiently.

tankzilla

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
Yeah that's one of the errors im getting. Most of the time it's that IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I've had the computer running for a few hours yesterday and all the night in sleepmode... could it be heat issues? :O

Now that I think about it, the HDD does get very warm after a few hours. Is there any program to check the temperature on the HDD?