cgleckman

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
So this is not for me, this is for my dad. I need some ideas for a simple build for him. he doesnt do much but email and internet and business type things such as excel or word applications. Maybe some light internet videos like you tube or picture viewing.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I would like to buy in 1 week and range is about 1000 dollars

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Internet browsing/Email, microsoft programs like word, excel, business document preperation.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: mouse and keyboard. (Monitor i have but a suggestion for a good cheap one would be nice)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Any, maybe if someone even knows a good prebuilt system?

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel Perfered, windows 7, wireless adapter (external or internal - just need a good one)

OVERCLOCKING: no

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Not really relevent here but I believe his is really old and most likely 1024 x 768

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I know this is a really easy and basic build and I just want some suggestions because I kept looking at things I would want, not what he wants/needs. he would perfer this to be a computer he wont have to replace for another 4 years or more.. his current one is from 2002!

Also he has his computer in a room with two cat liter boxes so ther is sand and dust and everything in the air all the time. Any suggestions how to protect the comp? He wont move it! Lastly, I want to thank you for your help!

cory1234

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
For his uses you do not need a $1000 computer. A $600 computer would be more than enough for internet browsing.

cyberpowerinc has some good prebuilt systems. If your looking for a good monitor dell usually includes a 20"-23" monitor with most of it's computers.

"

cory's right. At most, you should be spending $600 with the OS. If you go prebuilt, you wouldn't need to spend anywhere nere that. Go Dell and save anywhere from $500-700 in your budget.

To increase the longevity from an ease of use stand point, make sure you make a backup of Windows as soon as it's installed, or as soon as all the basic software is on it. Then every few months, save the new data, and burn it down. Copy all the files back over. It will make it seem like a new computer. If he (or you) do this even once a year, it will keep Windows fresh, not to mention get rid of all the crap you pick up from operating it.

As far as the cat liter, you'll probably just want to open it up every once in a while and blow everything out.

Cyberpower let's you pick more customized parts.

Dell and HP are cheaper. I've had three Dells (2 desktops, 1 laptop), and the only problem I had was they installed a bad HDD, but it was easily replaced. Haven't had an HP, but friends who have really like them. You won't be able to really customize very much. They'll sort of handcuff you on the choices you can make (i.e. if you want to get above a certain level of GPU, you'll have to pick a certain model). You'll have no idea what the mobo model is, who made the PSU, or the brand of RAM.

That said, they get everything really cheap, so it's perfect if you don't have much of a budget. Windows 7's cost alone will balance out the quality/freedom aspect in anything under than $500-600.