Memory amount-- 512 enough?

Someone

Hi!

Has anyone experienced a remarkable difference in installing 1 GIG of memory up from 512? This new
Nvidia 6800 card I thought would do the trick but the game seems just as jerky as before.
That's with an AMD XP 2700+.

Thanks for any info

<someone@somedomain.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> Has anyone experienced a remarkable difference in installing 1 GIG of
> memory up from 512? This new
> Nvidia 6800 card I thought would do the trick but the game seems just as
> jerky as before.
> That's with an AMD XP 2700+.

Yes I just went through that but my memory was corrupt so I wound up with a
lot of crashes. It made a huge difference in my game in the length of time
it takes to load and did away with the occasianl stuttering of action I get
with 512. I think this might be what you mean by jerky. I would go for the
added memory.

Gareeth

<someone@somedomain.com.invalid> wrote:

>Has anyone experienced a remarkable difference in installing 1 GIG of memory up from 512? This new
>Nvidia 6800 card I thought would do the trick but the game seems just as jerky as before.
>That's with an AMD XP 2700+.

I have both a less capable processor and a slower GPU than you
(2500/5600), but 1.5 GB and the game runs fluent in most circumstances,
so I guess it is the memory that makes the difference. As I never get
more than 1 GB allocated playing Sims 2, a total amount of 1 GB seems
enough.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

<someone@somedomain.com.invalid> wrote in

> Hi!
>
> Has anyone experienced a remarkable difference in installing 1 GIG
> of memory up from 512? This new Nvidia 6800 card I thought would
> do the trick but the game seems just as jerky as before. That's
> with an AMD XP 2700+.
>
> Thanks for any info

YES! It cost me nearly $200 but well worth it.

--
---->Sagittaria<----

If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:26:26 -0600, <someone@somedomain.com.invalid>
wrote:

>Has anyone experienced a remarkable difference in installing 1 GIG of memory up from 512? This new
>Nvidia 6800 card I thought would do the trick but the game seems just as jerky as before.
>That's with an AMD XP 2700+.

I think memory is very, very important if you want to speed up Sims2.
Video card processor is important for running the game in high
resolution and with more details.

Windows XP uses 150MB or more just when running idle.
Sims2 application uses over 700MB. This adds up to 850MB or more.
If you have 512MB, the math is easy: there will be a lot of swapping
from RAM to harddrive and back again which will kill performance.

I have a graphic card that is slower than yours (nVidia 6600GT with
128MB on-board DDR RAM).
However, I run the game at 1600x1200, 85Hz and with _all_ the eye
candy turned all the way up! :)
The game runs at nice and smooth performance, no jerky video, no
flickering.

I have 1024MB RAM and Pentium4 Prescott 3GB.
The cpu is more or less equivalent to yours, so the extra RAM must be
the difference.

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 22:06:27 +0100, Xstof
<xstof256_spam_me_and_die_@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have 1024MB RAM and Pentium4 Prescott 3GB.
Doh! 3GHz, not GB! :)