Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problems with GA-P55A-UD4P

Last response: in Motherboards
July 3, 2010 5:58:21 PM

Before I start, let me say that while I have a nice system and have a huge aftermarket cooler to keep my CPU nice and cold (low 30's on idle, high 50's on full load), I am not interested in overclocking and just want everything to run as advertised. Laugh all you want, but that is how I want it.

Back in January I got a UD4P and an i7 860 and 4x 2GB sticks of Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C8. I've got a 750w green power power supply, which should be powerful enough, even with a GTX 470 that I recently got.

I leave my computer running overnight, just idling.

Anyways, a few days ago (when using a 8800GTS 320mb, all other hardware the same) I woke up, came over to my computer, and it was in the BIOS POST page with a message saying it experienced unstable performance due to overclocking or voltage issues and because of that the settings shown in the BIOS may not be correct. So I loaded failsafe, etc, seemed fine.

Got a GTX 470 yesterday.

This morning, same message.

I also noticed that TurboBoost was "always on", always running at 2.93ghz.
I noticed that the CPU is reported during POST as sometimes 2.80ghz or sometimes 2.93ghz.
I noticed that HWiNFO reports my memory as 800mhz. The BIOS info page shows 1600 after I turn on extreme memory profile 1, which boosts voltage from 1.5 to 1.65.

I flashed to F11 as it said it had a few turbo boost compatibility changes. Everything is the same.

I've attached a few images from HWiNFO. Maybe everything is ok - but that error I get sometimes, which causes a reboot apparently and then causes the BIOS to cite overclock or voltage issues, it all seems a little weird.

If anybody else has a build similar to mine, would you mind sharing your BIOS settings? I'd be interested in how you have it set and how it is reporting.

More about : problems p55a ud4p

Best solution

a c 177 V Motherboard
July 3, 2010 7:31:26 PM

Quote:
I noticed that HWiNFO reports my memory as 800mhz. The BIOS info page shows 1600 after I turn on extreme memory profile 1, which boosts voltage from 1.5 to 1.65.

Many 'reporting' programs do this; as it is DDR (double data rate), and transfers data on the rising and falling edges of the clock, the actual, physical clock speed is one-half the 'nominal' speed... With XMP enabled, you will not be able to make the adjustments required to accommodate more than one DIMM per channel. I am working on procedure here, if you want an 'overview'...

The 'trick' is to enable XMP and scribble down all your memory parameters, then disable XMP, and make them all 'in manual' - then, to handle the extra DIMMs, raise the Vdimm to 1.66 to 1.68; raise the tRFC roughly 10-15%; raise QPI/Vtt to around 1.22-1.25; raise uncore mult to x25...

Quote:
I also noticed that TurboBoost was "always on", always running at 2.93ghz.
I noticed that the CPU is reported during POST as sometimes 2.80ghz or sometimes 2.93ghz.

TB, when enabled, is operated independently, by the CPU, based on internal load sensing - thus, is somewhat unpredictable - can vary from time to time, as 'ambient' conditions are likely never the same twice...
July 3, 2010 7:37:12 PM

Thanks for the thorough reply!

I noticed when XMP is on, TB is always on. When XMP is off, TB is more likely to be on or off depending on load. Or, actually, let me qualify that. When XMP is on, the CPU always operates at the lowest TB setting, 2.93ghz. When XMP is off, the CPU operates at the standard clock, 2.80ghz.

I'll try out your suggestions - thanks!
m
l
Related resources
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 3, 2010 7:54:18 PM

Always !
m
l
July 4, 2010 5:01:40 PM

Best answer selected by dcnoren.
m