Lock-Up Problem - PSU issue? Challenging problem

Roaring Panda

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
My PC suffers form complete lock-ups and freezes since the day i built it. I built it to run video games. In Crysis, and the Sims 3, at certain points there will be moments where the PC makes a noise as if something is powering off, then the display will freeze or disapear, and the sound will repeat. I have had this problem for a long time now and i'm a wee tired of it. Today i installed Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, a 3 year old game that- FPS wise- can be run without even trying at maximum settings. However, in the menus, it will frequently lock-up, like Crysis and the Sims, two very powerful games. Could my PSU be underpowered? Stalker leaves a log of errors, but for some reason, the log for that and Crysis and all other logs recording at the time leave no record, making me think it may be the PSU cutting out.

Also, considering my specs, the PC does not perform well enough, or get the FPS i would want for the set-up. I tended to get 15-30 FPS on Crysis Max settings 1920x1200 res, and Sims 3 manages to run fine, except when panning, where there is a noticable jitter and fault in FPS. Here are my Specs:
(PS: Dont think it's overheating.)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64x
Intel Quad Core Q6700 2.67ghz
NVidia Geforce GTX 280 1GB
CORSAIR DDR2 XMS2-8500 4GB
Asus P5QL iP43 S775 MOBO
625W HIPER HPU-S625 PSU

Roaring Panda

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Thanks guys, a friend of mine had recommended the Hiper series, but i think he might have been wrong on this occasion! Does anyone have any good ideas for a new one? I think the GTX 280 needs a 6-pin and an 8-pin, if I'm not mistaken.

jsc and daship are correct.

The Hiper power supply is not a high quality unit. The main problem is a maximum of 480 watts of power on the +12 volt rail which works out to just 40 amps. That is very low for a 625 watt power supply. A high quality 500 watt power supply would have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. There are additional problems with the power supply.

Here is a link to a competent technical review over at jonnyguru.com:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=137

Corsair and Seasonic are two of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.