What RAM should I get for my build (help for a novice)?

xx spec op xx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Here are my specs:
-Intel Core i7 930 Processor @ 2.8GHz
-Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard
-[DDR3 RAM]
-Corsair TX950 950W Power Supply Unit
-Zotac GTX 480 AMP! Edition
-CoolerMaster HAF 932 Case
-Western Digital 1TB HDD
-Scythe Mugen 2 REV.B CPU Cooler
-LG BD/DVD/CD Reader and Writer
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I was confused about which RAM to get because, according to Intel' website, the i7 only supports up to 1066MHz at stock speeds, but I have read that that is not true and that the retail mutlipliers are not locked and it adjusts them automatically. Bit-Tech's review of the i7 further confuses me because it says the i7 930 DOES support 1333MHz RAM. I've also heard that the CPU doesn't at all matter when it comes to choosing RAM, only the motherboard does (in which case the max supported stock speed is 1333MHz).

What is the truth? Which RAM should I get (it needs to be DDR3 and tri-channel as well as 6GB - please provide links from either NewEgg.ca or NCIX.com)?

Will this work? - http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=39033&vpn=PVT36G1333LLK&manufacture=Patriot

Solution
Any triple channel DDR3 kit will work up to 2100+ MHz on that mobo.
As stated before 1333 or 1600MHz is fine.
Gigabyte's own compatabilty list for that mobo states it's not uptodate and is to be used as a reference only since they can't keep up to the amount of ram manufactured.
Just choose a reputable brand like Corsair,G.skills,Patriot,and stay away from OZC.
I'm sure the one you listed is fine.
All you need to do is go to gigabyte's website and check the specs before ordering, or use newegg.com's specs, which usually match. For ram, get the cheapest name brand you can afford, such as corsair, crucial, kingston, or hynix (samsung, used by dell) in 1333 or 1600. My p55 board has 3 ram settings (1066,1333, and 1600 which all overclock when the cpu fsb is raised).

xx spec op xx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks for your answer, but I needed so clarification. So you're saying the CPU's requirements don't matter or that the motherboard will adjust the multipliers automatically so I should just get what my motherboard specifies?

Also, I thought Intel Core i7 (and it corresponding mobo and chipset) didn't have a FSB, but a QPI interface.

Any triple channel DDR3 kit will work up to 2100+ MHz on that mobo.
As stated before 1333 or 1600MHz is fine.
Gigabyte's own compatabilty list for that mobo states it's not uptodate and is to be used as a reference only since they can't keep up to the amount of ram manufactured.
Just choose a reputable brand like Corsair,G.skills,Patriot,and stay away from OZC.
I'm sure the one you listed is fine.

Solution