Zalman CNPS12x Fits loose

extremefreak17

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Hello, I just installed a Zalman cnps12x on my x79 motherboard and it seems to be a bit loose. With the screws tightened all the way I can still rotate it on the socket with a bit of force. I was wondering if this was normal or if I had done something wrong. It doesnt move up, down, left, or right. It just has rotational play.

You probably have it installed properly, I've never been very impressed with Zalmans clamping methods although they make quality products the single pass through clamping bar just needs to be completely rethought by Zalman.

You don't have many options as you would with other clamping methods like adding washers under the springs to increase clamping pressure, so you're pretty much stuck with the way it is.

If Zalman sent you the STG2 thermal compound with it, you should be just fine as that is some excellent thermal compound.

Tighter contact does make for better thermal conductivity, but what are your load temperatures now, that's what matters.

nesh216

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

extremefreak -

I just installed the Zalman cnps12x and have the same situation as you (it rotates on the cross bar axis). Did you confirm if this is the correct method of installation?

yanis31

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
i'm so far having a hard time believing the STG2 that came with it is all that great...
i will do some experimenting once i get some more thermal compound shipped...
but i applied it also to my gtx580 windforce card that i had applied Arctic MX-2 about a week earlier
(has a copper base vapor chamber + heatpipes)
and so far it seems the temps went up a few degrees under full load...
maybe a have a bad spread im not sure... i used "x" method the same way i did with the mx-2 - and it had spread evenly throughout the entire gpu heatspreader (one of my best results actually)
will need to do further testing, or maybe the zalman has a curing time... will see...
so ill give it this weekend before i try something else