Fire extinguisher reservoir mod

I like modding, its just what I do,

so after the radbox was finished I looked in my brain for more ideas and thought what if I modded a fire extinguisher to use as a reservoir?
after a little research I discovered that theres a type of extinguisher that allowed me to also use it to bleed air from the loop, bonus feature and in my opinion,
Cool.
As.
F.

I like mods that have a function, not just an aesthetic 'pretty', so the lever serving a purpose is very sweet
So heres a starter on the project, its not finished yet but it shouldn't be too long before its ready.
Disclaimer, I'll keep this simple, DO NOT DO THIS!

I took one 1Kg fire extinguisher, the refillable type, as the throwaway kind use a gas canister to propel the powder from the nozzle and will not reseal after the lever is squeezed
IMAG0584.jpg

I safely emptied it and responsibly disposed of the powder in accordance with local regs (low hazard mat in my case, fine for domestic refuse)
and proceeded to dismantle the assembly for washing
IMAG0585.jpg

Inside the canister is looking like its aluminium, but I'll resolve this issue later,
IMAG0587.jpg

the actuator mechanism has a plastic tube that needs removing, I don't want the tube as I want the hole high up, not at the bottom of the res
Trusty leatherman took care of that little detail,
IMAG0589.jpg

This spring recloses the valve for me, I'll keep that then
IMAG0588.jpg

and reassembled,
IMAG0590.jpg

more after a quick break,
Moto

This pressure guage will hopefull still function as well, but I won't worry if the pressure inside the loop isn't enough to move it
its a nice visual though
IMAG0591.jpg

A couple of 11mm holes were drilled and tapped, the base is about 2-3mm thick so its tough to tap, it should be enough to hold though
IMAG0592.jpg

IMAG0593.jpg

and the holes were drilled so that the fitting sits tight into the narrow end of the holding bracket, which will be drilled to the case using a backplate to help support
IMAG0595.jpg

so here I am at the moment,
IMAG0594.jpg

I need to line the inside of the canister, most likely with a resin type liquid to seal it and make sure that the aluminium doesn't affect the loop,
I'll grab another of the EK Comp fittings as I only have that one lying around but its looking good so far,
I'll take my radbox off from the main rig and hook it into that to test once its sealed and finished
Stay tuned and remember, Don't try this at home :)
Moto

I love how my mod logs turn into havens for daftness :) it makes them more snuzzley to read hehe

my Varnish and comp fitting turned up today, its odd how one EK 1/2 fitting is completely bloody different to the next ain't it?
oh well, I'm not one to grumble, I make the most of what I do have,

Varnish, meet fire extinguisher,
IMAG0596.jpg

Duct taped up the holes at the bottom, one to stop excess varnish dripping everywhere but it also allows the varnish to penetrate the threads, addition sealing
IMAG0597.jpg

Before,
IMAG0587.jpg

After,
IMAG0599.jpg

IMAG0598.jpg

Its difficult to get a decent photo of it hehe, 29 shots later and I'm picking these two as passable

I padded out the fittings and swirled a bit of varnish over them to help seal the teeny gaps between threads and line the bottom a little thicker without it leaking through the fitting aperture, probably not necessary but I like to make sure :)
IMAG0600.jpg

Went for a coffee and allowed the varnish time to settle, swirling occasionally to ensure even coverage,
IMAG0602.jpg

Finally I've looped some Xspc clear 7/16" over them, I'll be filling it before I go to work and checking for leaks in the morning, 10 hours overnight should be a decent indicator of integrity :)
IMAG0603.jpg

I'll leave it as late as I can though so the varnish is definitely set before throwing the wet stuff in it
Thats it for now guys, I'll see what the state of play is in the morning I guess,
Moto

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I like the res and I'm looking for a solution like this for my build, but would like something I could see into don't know if a fire EX is right for me but I will give it more thought.

Lutfij

Titan
if i had a rocket propelled grenade...or a sniper rifle that could target you. I'd shoot you down for being too creative :D

awesome work mate! I'm wondering how you'll be reserving the alu tub/canister and yet resolve it.

Ryan suggested two 90's on a side and tubing between them as a level guide indicator,
I think its too hard to tap a thin curved surface but thats not to say it couldn't be done, maybe build up with a weld then tap that?
or wait for some company to steal my idea and they can incorporate a view window :p
@Lutfij, thank you for the offer/promise of extreme weaponsbased violence :)
I plan on lining the insides with some sort of resin/varnish that I can pour in and swirl around to ensure 100% coverage but I have to find a suitable substance and haven't looked yet tbh,
Glad you both like it though :)
Moto

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You could make a notch in the tank with a drill/dremel and then use some flexible plexi and seal it from the inside? Depending on the final orientation, you could also make another set of holes and follow Ryan's idea on the bottom (if mounting horizontally).

I'm actually planning on Ebaying it once its tested and I'm happy with it, if it doesn't sell then I will probably work it into the Gf's upcoming W/c plan, it started as a wonder, evolved to a proof of concept, and I couldn't let something so cool not be used hehe
Moto

Lutfij

Titan
^ that reminded me of a lil toy that was the shape of a fire extinguisher that you could use to spray ink on a person. By the time a person was done cussing you, the ink would've vanished by then.

Wow man, props for the nice work, I don't know how big the size of that fire extinguisher is but you could add in some very stiff tubing to the top of it and put the "cap" ontop of that so you can always see where your liquid level is.

< -top
||| -tubing
OOO -
OOO - Rest of the first extinguisher
OOO -

I'll be home in around an hour so I'll measure, a cap like that would have to be an acrylic tube, threaded and tapped to screw into the body, and allow the top to screw into, it'd mess the look up if it was too thick I reckon and people looking at it would know it wasn't a real extinguisher
Glad you like it though,
And rofl at Rubix streamers idea :)
Moto

Thats exactly the thing I was looking for, why didn't I think of bike stuff lol....
a fifty quid its a touch pricey, but if I was doing a few of these to sell then it'd be a consumable cost I guess
for a one-off though, its definitely in ouch territory :p
Moto

Oh I could granulate plastic and do it that way, but my facilities are my kitchen and back yard, I wasn't looking to expend too much effort/time on the lining process though, hence the 'spray on' solution,
I'm surprised I have the patience to wait for that tbh lol, which reminds me, I need to buy more Epoxy putty sometime :p
Moto

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
well yes, being the mad scientist that I am, I have decimated my kitchen once, and my kids made me promise never to do that again. ( side note it was rather fun doing it regardless of the outcome)

Last rebuild for the radbox included this, I modded the kitchen into the Pc hehe
IMAG0556.jpg

@Lutfij, no kids= no problems and more money :)
as homer simpson said, I have three kids and no money, why can't I have no kids and three monies?
:p
Moto