HIS Radeon HD 3650 issues

ShadowMike4d4

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
So i'm going to copy my post from the AMD forums, see if I can get help faster this way! OH! If I already created this thread I apologize, I had issues with posting and couldn't find it. So i'm posting now to be sure.

Okay so here's the basic deal, first a little history on my system. A few days ago I had to reformat my hard-drive...I had a trojan, it was hell, my system is fine now. Before I reformatted I had a number of games on my computer that worked GREAT, never once had an issue...except with any game that required punkbuster but that's not graphics related.

Since I formatted my Hard-drive, I re-installed all my drivers, I tried to install the latest drivers for my card and quickly found they didn't work! it would only put on the installer. So I got the hotfix drivers and was happy because it worked. I installed Battlefield 2 which my friend bought for me and ran it...My screen isn't displaying anything, the green light on the monitor has turned yellow for sleep mode...I ctrl alt del out of the game and it comes back up and I see this:

"VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator or it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands"

Needless to say this angered me, so I un-installed Battlefield 2, then I remembered "My computer ran Battlefield 2142 just fine before the formatting, I think i'll play that" I go through the install process...start the game...guess what I see?

"VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator or it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands"

I never ONCE had this issue before I installed the hotfix drivers, never...So I un-install them and try to install the old drivers off the CD that came with my card...the drivers failed to install properly and are not working right now.

So my question is this, how can I make 100% sure there are NO remnants of the ATI drivers on my system and what is the LAST driver version too support AGP cards without a hot fix? I don't care if my drivers are a bit out-dated, as long as the games I have run without that stupid error i'm a happy person.

My system specs as copied from my dxdiag file:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3
BIOS: Rev.3.15
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory: 1536MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

I have onboard sound so i'm not sure about that. Of course the card I'm having issues with is the 3650 so it wouldn't show up in the file. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
;)

ShadowMike4d4

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

No, not the cd ones at least. They simply don't work when the computer starts up again the next time. But when I install the hotfix it doesn't initially work and I have to find the drivers by going through my system.

lefortovo

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
uninstall any drivers for your card wipe the registry and reinstall.If the disc wont work go to the his site for the drivers not amd as they have 2 different editions of the 3650(agp/pcie) and they dont differentiate. Which edition are you using? If got the agp one on my old computer and never had trouble until trying to update driver at amd

ShadowMike4d4

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Yes I have, I downloaded the 9.11 hotfix which was provided on their site and it downloaded...but when I ran my games(the ones that worked before the patch) they just gave me the VPU error!

lefortovo

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Theres an agp and pcie version of the 3650 the driver at amd is the pcie one. You clean the registry with a registry cleaning program WRC is free at cnet.When you run it youll see all the unneeded ati registry entries and itll remove them