Good around ears for up to $50?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Im looking for some nice headphones with decent bass and good sound quality for up to about $50, 60 if its worth it. Ive tried Beats and I actually liked the sound quality, but since there from Monster im assuming they are massively over priced. So are there any headphones from sensible brands that can compete with Beats in my price range?

klbg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

There are no differences. Stereo headphones are still the best for gaming, assuming they have a sufficient soundstage.

G

yes there is not much difference but they have high impedance,S/N ratio and sound card compatible.

Yes its so difficult to classify a gaming and stereo headphone in this budget.

klbg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

Surround is virtually useless in game, and you can use Dolby Headphones surround on any headphones with a $25 Xonar DG. As rule of thumb, stay away from the words "headset" "gaming" and "surround".

i guess you have never owned a decent pair that actually work, my logitech G930's give great spacial awareness. there a little outside the op's price range but im making the point that not all surround headphones fail.
some have multiple diaphragms to help with the overall effect

b4 i got my headset i did have a cheap pair of head bins that had surprisingly good bass. they were from SAITEK the GH20 Vibration Headset at around £25 there cheap but they sound ok... they do support virtual surround but are much better when setup for sterio.
also the Genius Headset with Boom Microphone Model: HS-04V were also a competent headset sound wise, even though they were a little shoddy on build quality.

klbg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

Have used the G35, which is the G930 with a wire. It doesn't "fail", but it's not nearly as good as proper headphones. It may give "spacial awareness", but it uses Dolby Headphones, which any Xonar card can do. There's a reason you don't see "7.1 headsets" in professional gaming very often.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
what he said ^

and let me strongly support the fact tha tits always to get a qulaity headphone and get a gd sound card to enable dolby headphone, this is probably better then any "gaming" headset.. however teh g35 whether the quality is good or not, i heard for 7.1 emulation- it is very very good.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

You have no idea what you are talking about, as the other guy said, you've never expirienced surround sound when in a game. FPS shooters like COD support 5.1 surround which works amazingly, if your speakers are properly set up, actions happening around you will be played by speakers accordingly, wether its infront or behind you. I'm not sure about headsets, but surround sound in general it very useful for fps shooters at least. You should give a bit more thought to you "Rule of Thumbs". Eventually games, if not already, will support more channels, currently its 6channel(5.1) and eventually 8-9channel (7.1 and 7.2).

klbg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

I'm not talking about REAL surround, I'm not talking about headphone surround. And stop telling me what I haven't experienced. I could just as easily say you've never experienced stereo. Like I've said, I've owned the G35 surround headset, and I know that compared to the AD700s with a proper sound card they don't even come close to positioning.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
^You should have made your statement more specific. Making such a false and general statement as "Surround is virtually useless in a game" is what got that response. Be more specific. That was why I made a generalization that you never expirienced surround sound, and calm down.

When using proper equipment, wether headset and/or regular speakers, if configured properly will add huge advantage and works really well.

klbg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
^Why are you telling me to calm down? What part of my post showed any sign of anger? I didn't assume I needed to be more specific, as this is a thread about headphones, and we were discussing headphone surround sound. Perhaps you should read more closely next time?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

That doesn't matter, I did read closely, but next time be more specific. And either way, you were wrong about the headphone part also, I've played a game w/ 5.1 headphones and it did make a difference, connected to a soundcard. Perhaps you should know something about what you are talking about before talking about it :). Its all good though.

klbg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

You did read closely? I was quoting a guy talking about surround headphones. Apparently not.

I never said 5.1 headphones don't make a difference (again, read), I said they don't help out ingame. A stereo headphone with good soundstage beats out multiple speakers anytime. Also, which 5.1 headphones did you use "with a soundcard" (is this supposed to imply that I don't have one? because I do)? AFAIK 99% of them are either USB or require an included USB amp. If you're talking about the Psyko one.. that's a piece of crap anyway (reviews speak for themselves). I already said (twice) that I owned a "7.1" headset, so again, don't tell me I don't know anything about it.

It's fine that you're upset and don't want to admit you replied without paying attention, but don't try to justify it with bullshit. I forgive you.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
I'm not upset son, is a forum arguement lol. You're the one that can't let it go.
I realize you were quoting a guy about headphones, but headphones also can produce a great surround sound affect. I didn't imply that you didn't you use a soundcard, i simply stated that I used a good soundcard and good pair.

In addition, the simple fact that you actually trust reviews written by completely untechnical people shows you still aren't quite sure what you are talking about. Online reviews written at retailers websites are written by people who think that if you plug a USB connector into a network (which do fit) that something is broken. So you need to find reviews done by people who know what they are talking about on good websites.

And if you are telling the truth about owning a 7.1 headset with a soundcard, then you obviosly didn't have the correct settings for it, or you simply didn't notice, it gives you no grounds however to give such a sweeping generalization.

You are the only one so far laying out bullshit.

Oh yeah, and even on retailers website, newegg lets say, in the reviews you can clearly see people complaining about either price, weight or something else as usual...but very few people mention something bad about the surround sound, most say its good. Here, incase you DIDN"T read, take a look:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826705001&Tpk=Psyko
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153051

^There will be some bad reviews about the surround, but know the persons technical level and don't take them to seriously.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
let me kinda support both of you guys there..

of course 5.1 will help out in games then stereo.

but siltl if you are talking about physical 5.1 in headphones, well the layout of the drivers just make things worse, and they really arent close to the real thing, whether the drivers are gd or not.

same goes for stereo with 5.1 emulation..... even though this is not the msot best way to get surround sound, the DAC on USB headphones are quite tacky compared to the soundcards, the onboard DAC only do well in surround sound, and nothing more, quality is JUST on par with a heapdhone of a lower price.

however let me also add, that most "gaming" headphones and 5.1 headphones, really arent up to par by quality stereo headphones..when it comes to quality that is...

any other headphones that uses its own propiertry engine for surround sound sucks, thats truth people. (it is now)

the best out so far for built in tech. is still dolby, but again i have said that quality stereo headphones are still better....

...therefore, its is far much better to get a quality stereo set, and use a quality soundcard and use its own dolby headphone tech,

if you are an avid gamer without a card, there are few games that support the blue ripple technology-> rapture 3D, they currently have used it for DIRT games, its actually better then the dolby headphone, however its not commercialy popular due to the way its processing,... ill just say its not like plug and play.

to teh OP, if you looking for gaming headsets, dont bother, it will be difficult to find a gd one, at your price mark, if i were you id go for stereo headphones, but even then they wont be very good,

infact, id actaully go for earphones. but then again you could have completely ruled that one out.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
^Well the thing you said about Stereo headphones being better then surround is a matter of opinion. I never said that I liked it or didn't like it. I am just saying the surround sound does work and it DOES do its job with simulating effects from around you in the game, which makes it "Useful". Thats the fact that I disagree with stubborn Klbg.

klbg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

I don't know where you saw me saying anywhere that I "trust reviews" (again, you're pulling this out of nowhere).. I'm basing all of my information off of personal experience and conversations on the HiFi.org boards as well as Overclock.net audio forums. If you looked around even a little bit, you'd see how those with actual SOUND experience dismiss all "gaming" headsets as gimmicks. Again, people who haven't experienced good stereo and try out a "surround" headphone might love it, that's not the point. Plenty of people LOVE their Logitech speakers, but those of us with experience know they're crap. To add: tech experience has nothing to do with audio experience. Why are you even bringing up user reviews? Didn't you start this by saying reviews suck?

You got upset because you didn't read, and now you're trying valiantly to defend yourself. Don't call me stubborn. I've owned AD700s, ATH M50s, and HD595s, as well Logitech G35s (the most popular "7.1" headset), and I've tried the Megalodon several times. What's your experience? You still failed to list WHICH surround headset you used, since, like I said, almost every single one is USB (which, if you don't understand, implies that it BYPASSES the sound card).

tl;dr I have experience, get over it.

klbg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

And I'm saying that stereo can create "surround " effects on GOOD headphones just as well as those gimmicky "5.1/7.1 headsets". Again, sound cards already have Dolby Headphones or CMSS3D if you so desire, which is EXACTLY the technology gaming headsets use. And again, notice how most succesful gamers generally use Sennheisers? Or have you never been to a LAN party?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Im not the one that needs calming down, you're the one typing up essays and double posting lol.

I just Think that on a forum, you shouldn't try to demoralize somebody with your stupid opinion and pass it as fact. Your experience doesn't speak for everyones. Its as simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.