Custom Water Loop Questions

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
I have a variety of questions that I hope I can get answered. I have a Corsair 650D, and have checked compatibility. Currently I have a Cooler Master V6GT.
Here are the parts I have chosen for sure (unless strong reason to go against):
XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock
XSPC EX240 Slim Line Radiator
XSPC EX120 Slim Line Radiator
Koolance GTX 680 Waterblock
Compression Fittings
Pump>240mm>CPU>120mm>GPU>Reservoir

Questions
1. Will the radiators be able to cool both parts? CPU @4.5GHz+ 1.31v+, GPU (actually a GTX 670 clocked the same as a GTX 680 with a GTX 680 PCB)
2.What pump should I choose? DDC or D5? (enough to power the entire loop with one pump)
3. Based on question 2, what reservoir should I pick?
4. Based on question 2, what size tubing should I pick?
5. Type of fans? Push only, maybe pull if you can tell me where to get screws.
6. Where can I order the parts, I live in Canada. dazmode.com is good, but they don't have all the parts. How reliable is amazon.com? The parts from US site ship to Canada.

The fans will be putting air into the case, so the VRM and chipset should be fine, in theory.
Thanks in advance, and I would appreciate specific suggestions, eg. Swiftech MCP35X!

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
if you can go with a larger rad than the single 120 maybe a duel and your rad choice is a little low for what you want to do if you go with high FPI rads with high RPM fans you might be able to get away with such a low rad capacity at 2 X 240's for rads for those parts clocked.

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

I can't fit another 240mm radiator inside or out. I don't want to use an external enclosure because I don't have space. What radiator would you suggest? I can mount the other 120mm radiator on the outside and use the exterior holes. If heat is too much of a problem for the GPU, would you suggest just not watercooling the GPU and getting a card like the upcoming MSI Twin Frozr IV GTX 670? But by upgrading to a thicker radiator, would I get better cooling performance than my V6GT?

In his members config,
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3,
Intel Core i7 2600k @4.5GHz 1.31v,
8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600 (2x4GB),
EVGA GeForce GTX 560Ti 448 Cores FTW 1280MB GDDR5,
LG DVD Burner,
320GB Seagate Barracuda HDD,
20GB XBOX HDD,
Corsair 650D,
Cooler Master V6 GT,

I'm assuming most of this is carrying into the new build so correct me if I'm wrong please Op
I echo toolmakers advice, more rad is needed to cool Gpu and Cpu there, I'm just not sure how its fitting into a 650d, its late here and I'll reassess in the morning
Moto

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

Yeah, everything except the graphics card and the heatsink. It does fit in a 650D. I've already posted a thread about it and I've seen people who have. Compatibility is not an issue. Anyway, thanks for the help, and look forward to your input tomorrow.

Lutfij

Titan
I'd go for an external mount 360 rad or mod case and try fit a 360 inside. however, th external mount is the best option to feed cool/fresh air into rads, a lil better for temps.

res: upto you - some like inline res's/some tubed/ some bay res with pumps.
rads: i'd say your going to push it with the temps. which'll lead me to ask - why are you moving into watercooling in the first place? cos if its temp drops you want, you'll need more raddage
dazmode? : I'd just clsoe my eyes and get myself a xspc raystorm kit from him and try to get some scythe fans hooked onto a fan controller.

however, this is my 2 cents :)

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

Thanks a lot, and speaking about external mounts, I found some by Koolance that look pretty stylish. Would a single 480mm radiator be able to cool both parts?
Thanks for the answers, but how about the pump?
Also, the reason I'm moving to watercooling is because the V6GT gets loud in order to keep temps at around 60C. I just want a little bit more "quiet".

Lutfij

Titan
swiftech make a radbox taht isn't that expensive. However you could go DY and get yourself some nylon screw spacers. very cheap and the rest of that saved cash can go into a good pump.

if mem serves me well, D5 is good for flow rate while the DDC is good for head pressure - correct me if i'm wrong anyone :)

if quiet than yeah raddage+ good fans are the key.
read the watercooling sticky? if not, its located in my sig.

A 480 would be a better option, but I'd try and keep the 240 as well for headroom,
with W/c the more rad you have, the quieter you can get the system to run,
many people over-rad to enable a quiet, almost silent system
and I do love those koolance brackets, pricey but tres cool :)
pumpwise a mcp655 will stand you well, theres a variable version as well if you prefer the control
Moto

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
if quite is what you are looking for than the opposite applies, I have been fighting this issue for years. how to make a computer quite at load, and yes water cooling is the answer for that problem. but not with very little rad space, fast fans and high FPI rads remove a lot of heat from a system real fast but it will be as loud if not louder than air cooling. to get the system quite you will need low RPM fans and low FPI rads, and more of them. there is always a trade off, if you're going to get 1 480 go ahead get 2 they are already low FPI rads so all you need to get is good quite fans. if you get a fan controller you can adjust the speed of your fans up or down when at idol or load and it allows you to go with a little faster fans for more head room. between 2500 to 3000 RPM fans now they will get loud all the way up, but only if you want them to.

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

Thanks, I read it over and I found some high CFM fans (80CFM), and only around 24dB. And I'll go with the D5 pump then. Thanks!

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

Pricey, but for a good cooling solution, I'm willing to pay. Anyway thanks, and yes it will be quiet!

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

Yeah I have chosen some nice fans, and a fan controller. Thanks for the input, really helped me out!

Lutfij

Titan
* please try to NOT make double/triple posts - address each member by a "@ user - " and you'll keep thread clean :)

your welcome! might want to look at the 1080 rads by watercool cost a lot cheaper for such a surface area but the shippping more than makes up for it :p - located here

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

Sorry for the massive thread, I'll keep that in mind. The radiator seems a little too big, so I'll go with the 480mm if it can cool my CPU @4.8GHz (I'll experiment with voltage), and my GTX 670 @1009MHz. And one last thing, I know I'm deviating away a little from the topic but, if I choose to add another GTX 670 @1009MHz, could I add it to the same loop, or should I run it through a 240mm radiator (since I'm going with external, I have space for it)?

Lutfij

Titan
you have spcae alright, however we'll need you to go over to the sticky and do a calc of the TDP of your components that you'd like to have under watrer.

this way you can answer your question confidently :)
we're here to help, but we're not here to help you cheat :p

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

Thanks a lot! I got my combined TDP even in worst-case scenario. The radiator will be enough to cool all my parts+. That sticky had lots on information so thanks. I have decided on my final build and hopefully it turns out well. I won't need the 240mm radiator, so you helped me save money.

Lutfij

Titan
:) rubix_1011 deserves the thanks for compiling the sticky - i just have it in my sig to guide folks interested in the sport :)

great to see how its going for you. might want to list your hardware again for us to double check.

Oh yeah might want to have a build log up so we can see how your loop really looks :D and it'll go nice among other watercooling build logs/loops to serve as inspiration for others.

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

Yeah, it was very helpful, but rubix_1011 would be happy that people are spreading his work.
Here's the hardware for the final build, although I have decided to build in increments to not put a strain on my budget:
CPU Waterblock: XSPC Raystorm
GPU Waterblock: 2x Koolance VID-NX680
Pump: Swiftech MCP655
Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES Micro Rev.2 or Koolance 5.25 Bay Reservoir (not sure which one)
Radiator: Koolance Radiator/Fans/Shroud Assembly Kit, 4x120mm, Copper (with the bottom part [sold seperately])
Tubing: 1/2" ID, 5/8" OD

Thank you for taking the time to help (and not cheat :p), and yeah, for sure, a build log would be fun.

Lutfij

Titan
i'm not sur about that koolance rad. 4x120? surely you have other options. About budget, no sweat, just work your way into getting the parts and when its time - it'll go together.

if you're going with those tubings, then make sure the fittings are according to th tubing specs.

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

Yeah, I made sure the tubing would work with the fittings.
What's wrong with the radiator? Would you recommend a 360mm>CPU>240mm>GPU>GPU? I checked using the TDP calculator and it works. Would the reason for not going with a 480mm radiator be because the liquid would heat up too much by the time it gets to the second GPU? By going with the above configuration, I could also cool my VRM.

Lutfij

Titan
@ the big troll - gunk? does he use the hydrx concentrate in his loop?
@OP - koolance rads , well for that price you can get other rads for a better perf and better aesthetics. e.g: alphacool XT45/UT60, xspc EX radiators... to name a few.

you're fine TDP wise, and no - the liquid wont heat up fast provided you're not running the radiators passively. have you found reviews for the koolance rad you're looking for? might want to check its heat dissipation capacity at noted fan rpms - otherwise the rad+tdp was for nothing.