GA-P35C-DS3R windows 7 - achi sata and ram + e6850 settings

G

so... ive had this comp a few years, and decided to try to get achi mode working for my sata drives again. when i first built the comp, i could only get windows to go on the drives in ide mode, and apparently even with the F12 bios and win 7 i still cannot get windows to install when drives are in achi mode.

per the gigabyte faq, i have my drives hooked up correctly (drive i want to boot is on the intel southbridge sata 0 slot, native mode is enabled, and modes are set to achi.)

i boot from dvd, windows 7 sees the drives....i deleted the partition on the drive and recreated it, formatted it....then i tell windows to install there and ... well, it refuses....so i try the other drives, and same message, telling me to see the log for error messages (not sure how to to check those, if i need to).

the error message states "setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition."

i also tried the onboard gigabyte controller, and loaded their preinstall drivers on the drive selection screen, and still have the same result. where is my mistake? this has been nagging me for years lol.

tia, Kristine

Solution
Haven't forgotten about you! Just had a hellacious day, and, like I said - I'm NUTS! Manic-depressive, naturally insomniac, and missing sleep causes mania, which causes mor insomnia, leading to more mania - and pretty soon, I'm wandering around the ceiling with my tinfoil hat on!

Part of your trouble is that you are running four DIMMs - the parameter sets stored inside the DIMM itself, the SPD data, is optimized for two DIMMs, particularly one DIMM channel - using more takes a couple adjustments...

If you aren't now at BIOS F12, download it here, and flash before starting - as I say, the 'C' chipsets are already somewhat 'unstable' - we need all the help we can get! DON'T use @BIOS!

A lot of this is 'canned' - so if...
G

after more googling i found that its just a windows issue. i disconnected other hard drives and instead of creating the partition and choosing it, i simply deleted the partition and chose the unallocated space....which is what windows wanted and will then install. yay.

however, i have another issue...im trying to overclock my e6850 and and when i set the bus to 400 and multiplier to 8, it says thats 3.2 ghz however when i boot im still showing 3ghz...as if its just ignoring the clock.
i have the other cpu features disabled in bios that might might affect it by cpu throttling etc...so why isnt the setting working?

bilbat

Splendid
Your first problem is your chipset - the 'c' series were a theoretically great idea (being able to use either DDR2 or DDR3), that just never quite worked - that's why you never saw any more of 'em after the first (I think, three part # - P35C, P43C, P45C) releases...

That said, we may be able to do something here - please post your memory part number and quantity, and I'll put together a set of parameters to try...

G

Hi. the ram is ddr2, i have 4 chips. i have increased the FSB and then set the ratio so 800 mhz ram speed is maintained... in an attemp to overclock the processor, the bios then shows (in the settings) that the cpu is 3.3 or 3.6 ghz etc, but then when i boot and it posts, it simply says 3.0 ghz. Windows and cpu-z also show the same thing once windows has loaded.

i had the memory set at 5-5-5-16 previously via automatic and manual settings which works fine but i would prefer faster timings... as i type this i am trying to get it running at 4-4-4-12 ... it should work according to the enhanced performance profile listed below?

edit - have the ram running at 444-12 @ 800 mhz now, it turned out that dropping the voltage a bit below the rating worked whereas turning the voltage up did not, and it seems stable. so now all thats left is to figure out why the bios is ignoring the FSB setting after i save / exit and bios settings.

here is the info from everest.
Patriot Memory PDC22G6400LLK

Module Type Unbuffered DIMM
Memory Type DDR2 SDRAM
Memory Speed DDR2-800 (400 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 1.8
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

Memory Timings:
@ 400 MHz 5-5-5-16 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 21-42-3-6-3-3 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)
@ 266 MHz 4-4-4-11 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 14-28-2-4-2-2 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)
@ 200 MHz 3-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 11-21-2-3-2-2 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)

Enhanced Performance Profile:
Profile Name High Performance
Optimal Performance Profile Yes
Memory Speed DDR2-800 (400 MHz)
Voltage 2.2 V
Memory Timings 4-4-4-12 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
Row Cycle Time (tRC) 20T
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Write Recovery Time (tWR) 6T

Enhanced Performance Profile:
Profile Name High Frequency
Optimal Performance Profile No
Memory Speed DDR2-1000 (500 MHz)
Voltage 2.3 V
Memory Timings 5-5-5-15 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
Row Cycle Time (tRC) 35T
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Write Recovery Time (tWR) 8T

bilbat

Splendid
Haven't forgotten about you! Just had a hellacious day, and, like I said - I'm NUTS! Manic-depressive, naturally insomniac, and missing sleep causes mania, which causes mor insomnia, leading to more mania - and pretty soon, I'm wandering around the ceiling with my tinfoil hat on!

Part of your trouble is that you are running four DIMMs - the parameter sets stored inside the DIMM itself, the SPD data, is optimized for two DIMMs, particularly one DIMM channel - using more takes a couple adjustments...

If you aren't now at BIOS F12, download it here, and flash before starting - as I say, the 'C' chipsets are already somewhat 'unstable' - we need all the help we can get! DON'T use @BIOS!

A lot of this is 'canned' - so if you've seen parts of it before, skip ahead!

GA-P35C-DS3R E6850 to 3 or 3.6 GHz
Intel E6850 1333FSB x9.0mult 3.0GHz .85-1.5V Core G0 sSpec SLACR CPUID 06FBh
Patriot Memory PDC22G6400LLK ?GB (? x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1200 memory: 5-5-5-18-2t nominal 2.1-2.2v

Gentle (but noticeable), no-risk, low-voltage Overclocking parameters are in italics...

If you haven't yet done it, pull out all but one DIMM, start with a BIOS' "Load Optimized Defaults" to set sub-timings...

Before we start ramping things up, I want to teach you a new skill involving the BIOS: Do the <DEL> at the boot to enter the BIOS;
notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I alway urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!

On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page:

"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Disabled"
"CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2)" to "Enabled"
"CPU EIST Function" to "Disabled"
"Full Screen LOGO Show" to "Disabled" (for convenience in entering BIOS)

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

Your manual shows "Legacy USB storage detect", but later BIOS say "USB Storage Function" - either way, set to "Disabled"

On the "Power Management Setup" page:

"ACPI Suspend Type" to "S1(POS)" (for now...)
"HPET Support" to "Enabled"
"HPET Mode" to "64-bit"

Do the <CTRL>+<F1> to 'unlock'; on the "PnP/PCI Configurations" page:

(if it appears at all...)"PCI Latency" to "64"

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"Robust Graphics Booster" to "Auto"
"CPU Clock Ratio" to "9X"
"CPU Frequency" - this one can't be set, it's calculated, and will change when we set the next few items...
"CPU Host Clock Control" to "Enabled"
"CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)" to "334"
"CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)" to "401"
"PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)" to "100" (not auto...)
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"
"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "2.40 B"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "2.00 D"
"Memory Frequency (Mhz)" - again, can't be set, it's calculated...
"DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)" to "Manual"

******** Standard Timing Control ********
Most of the memory timings should be good in "Auto", as set by the LoadOpt...

if "Static tRead Value" wasn't set to at least "7" by the "Load Opt", bump it up to there...
make sure "Command Rate(CMD)" is set to "2T"
whatever tRFC is set to, raise it by 15%, rounded up to the next integer...

...rest of the sub-timings should be good...

"System Voltage Control to "Manual"
"DDR2 OverVoltage Control" to "+0.40V" ...you may be able to lower to .3 later...

"(G)MCH OverVoltage Control" to "+0.15V" ...for more than two sticks of ram...
"CPU Voltage Control to "Normal"
"CPU Voltage Control to "1.3500V"

And that should do it!

I should point out that getting two reboots in a row here is perfectly normal behavior; it seems that, when you change certain settings (and we don't exactly know which ones - the only sure one I know is Trd - if you change it, I think you get the 'twin' reboot) it boots once to 'see where it's at', recalculates its remaining 'auto' settings, saves them, and then boots again. Three reboots in a row, however, usually indicates that the board was 'given indigestion' by your settings, and is going back to defaults. This sometimes goes astray, and it doesn't get back into proper operation - for example, at this point, mine will sometimes 'lock' itself into 111MHz x a six multiplier - and take a week to do a whole boot - that's time to do a CMOS reset, and use your 'stored' <F12> profile to get back to where you were...

Good luck!

Bill

Solution
G

bilbat

Splendid
Mixin' 'n matchin'[/i] RAM is seldom a good idea - it can sometimes be done, but takes some informed fiddling, and with a "C" chipset, I haven't a lot of confidence... Took a closer look at your RAM setup, and - I'll be damned - no 'Command Rate'! First time I've ever seen this - might be that the "C"s always run at a two CPC (simply sets whether the memory controller can issue a command to the bus every clock, of every other clock...)

The PCI latency setting was added to BIOS around six months or so ago - knew it 'worked better' at 64, but never could find out anything about it - why, how? I always assumed it was like a memory latency: smaller = faster... Finally, recently found out while screwing with a server board - PCI/PCIe, in some respects, operate like a token ring bus - 'creatures' 'on the bus' assume 'bus mastership', and, like the token ring setting that determines how long someone's allowed to 'keep the token', the setting adjusts the bus mastership period - some stuff just doesn't like being 'interrupted' to 'pass the token'!

(aka, how did you know to try 1.35 in the first place ;) )
Mainly, good (but informed) guess! I usually guess a trifle high, and then test while running thermals to see how far I can reduce... BTW, to 'do thermals', I just run:
Prime95 & CoreTemp.

Before I set to answering umpteen questions, try giving this a read: Memory - more than you wanted to know! - should put you in the position of knowing more than 99.99% of users (including overclockers!) about what it is, what it's doing, how to select it, and what to do with it!

It's had (at least part IV - the 'how to') over eight-hundred 'reads', but I've yet to get a comment - anything unclear, mistakes, suggestions for expansion of anything - I already know that it's 'overkill'; as I state at the beginning, my intent, after six or eight months of arguing with people about paying big $$$ for way too fast RAM, without having much of a clue why, and noting that the amount paid for RAM seems to be inversely proportional to the ability to get it to run 'at spec', I thought "better too much than too little"!

Anyhow - 'trudge through' that, and then ask 'remaining' questions - might show me what I need to 'clean up' or expand...

G

ah, i had inserted wrong number into the memory, as i was confused with the settings you mentioned that didnt have exact reference in settings. hence the prime fails..

without cpu overclock, the ram is running well at 444 12 with the voltage manually set to +2 (2.15v) and gmch +1 (and making sure the profile was set to standard!!)
it passed prime test with no issues...

so now back to the cpu overclock :heink:

btw - the missing command rate setting shows up as being set 2T when you look in everest under motherboard at the northbridge chipset... it lists all the memory settings above and then some.

G

ok, so... since the cpu voltage, ram voltage, and ram timings seem to be root of all evil... and i had the ram working at almost exactly its specified settings with the 1 matched pair installed, and it ran prime95 for 20 minutes just fine ... i tried to o/c the cpu back to 3.6 ghz. it booted to windows, but crashed (bluescreen hardware failure) as soon as i started prime95.

assuming the ram settings were still good, i guessed this meant the cpu voltage needed changing, maybe more than the 1.35 you recommended... so i bumped it down, that didnt help...so i bumped it up to 1.425..

this time i loaded prime and it seems to be running fine. core temp 0.997 is reporting 57c - 64c temperatures.
it seems the magical error-free voltage is somewhere between 1.35 and 1.425.

so i will keep decreasing it back down from 1.425 until i start having hardware crashes again, or rather, prime has a failure preferably...

bilbat

Splendid
Always
welcomeho.gif
!