Why does the game keep saying it can't find

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 4, 2005 8:32:53 PM

a direct x 9.0c compatible video card when I know it has (Nvidia FX5700) one
and it had been playing S2 for several months now? I have the most recent
vid drivers and have reinstalled DX 9.0c. I'm running this on WinXP Pro SP1
with 512MB DDR 3200 on a dfragged HDD with plenty of space. I've never seen
a game so touchy. So what if you don't have 9.0c installed? What other game
specifically NEEDS that to run. Why can't it run on 9.0b? I have the
graphics turned down anyway. This was playing fine for a couple of months
already. EA really suks on this one.

More about : game find

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 5:18:55 AM

Check to make sure your directx is not read only. If it is, it may not
really be 9.0c that you have.

"Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message
> a direct x 9.0c compatible video card when I know it has (Nvidia FX5700)
one
> and it had been playing S2 for several months now? I have the most recent
> vid drivers and have reinstalled DX 9.0c. I'm running this on WinXP Pro
SP1
> with 512MB DDR 3200 on a dfragged HDD with plenty of space. I've never
seen
> a game so touchy. So what if you don't have 9.0c installed? What other
game
> specifically NEEDS that to run. Why can't it run on 9.0b? I have the
> graphics turned down anyway. This was playing fine for a couple of months
> already. EA really suks on this one.

Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:27:15 PM

> Nope, this is a marketing deal between MS and Maxis or EA or all three.

"Marketing deal", huh? How does Microsoft benefit from anyone upgrading to
DX9.0c?
February 7, 2005 3:06:37 PM

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:27:15 -0500, "Homer J. Simpson" <root@127.0.0.1>
wrote:

>> Nope, this is a marketing deal between MS and Maxis or EA or all three.
>
>"Marketing deal", huh? How does Microsoft benefit from anyone upgrading to
>DX9.0c?

Never let reason get in the way of a good paranoid conspiracy theory.
It just spoils the fun.

BW
February 8, 2005 12:13:00 AM

news:p pydnRztGqxb55rfRVn-og@magma.ca...
> > Nope, this is a marketing deal between MS and Maxis or EA or all three.
>
> "Marketing deal", huh? How does Microsoft benefit from anyone upgrading
> DX9.0c?

I'll give you a whole week to think about that. That should be enough time
for the speed that you process.
February 8, 2005 12:14:06 AM

"Rico" <BC@dt.com> wrote in message
> "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in news:BLadnYWwlaq-9JvfRVn-qw@rcn.net:
>
>> I'm sure neither Microsoft or EA is about to change their policies to
satisfy
> a tiny fringe group of whiners who don't know how to read system
requirements
> on a box.
> Games requiring various versions of DX have been a factor for nearly a
decade
> now.
> I see little reason for professed mystification/conspiracy theories.

You could have stopped with "I see little reason.."
February 8, 2005 12:34:04 AM

http://eagames.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eagames.cfg/php/end...**&p_li=&p_topview=1

> Or just go to the main sims site, then to the help section, then technical
> and gameplay issues, then it's the second question there.

You don't think I'd come here spreading "wild conspiracy" theories without
"googling" for a week or two? That web page above? Been there, done that.
I've been all over their support pages. I've been inside and out of her
computer. I've reinstalled WinXP Pro twice. Tried it with/without SP1. Do I
have 9.0c installed? Is that what they included with the CDs? That's what it
says....do you think they're lying about what version of DX9 they gave
me???? Nah, I dl'd a DX9.0c control panel applet and, YEP 9.0c is loaded and
DXdiag also confirmed that. I've tried three different CD ROMs, I have
changed IDE ribbon cables, defragged HDD and pagefile, have increased system
cache, have tried running under various OS compatibilities, have reset CD
ROMs to PIO 4 mode rather than UDMA 2, have unistalled/reinstalled video
drivers unknown number of times(using driver cleaners, of course), have
tried debugging of DX9, and the thing that bites it all, other DX9 required
games run fine. This Sims2 game runs fine. ONLY on the four other computers
in my network, NOT hers. WHY? She has more system ram than three of those
four, and a higher cpu speed than all of those other four. All five systems
run XP Pro. BUT, here's the main difference. I built those other four with
ABIT mobos. She had an aging ABIT BH6 Slot 1 so I found what I thought was a
decent replacement. Albatron PM266 Pro with a VIA chipset. It could be that.
But then why will all other games play on it EXCEPT this one? Nah, they
tightened the screws on this way too much. It's a conspiracy.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 1:03:07 AM

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:34:04 -0500, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote:

>"Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
>> Hey check this link out.
>>
>http://eagames.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eagames.cfg/php/end...**&p_li=&p_topview=1
>>
>> Or just go to the main sims site, then to the help section, then technical
>> and gameplay issues, then it's the second question there.
>>
> You don't think I'd come here spreading "wild conspiracy" theories without
>"googling" for a week or two?

Good for you! I support the concept of people checking their facts
before they post nonsense to Usenet.

BW
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 2:55:27 AM

barbara@bookpro.com wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:34:04 -0500, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote:
>
>> "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
>>> Hey check this link out.

http://eagames.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eagames.cfg/php/end...
adp.php?p_faqid=15779&p_created=1095272769&p_sid=GNbBMtxh&p_lva=&p_sp=
cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD02OCZwX3Byb2RzPT
Q3NCZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9MS40NzQ7Mi51MCZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_top
view=1

>>> Or just go to the main sims site, then to the help section, then
>>> technical and gameplay issues, then it's the second question
there.

>> You don't think I'd come here spreading "wild conspiracy" theories
>> without "googling" for a week or two?
>
> Good for you! I support the concept of people checking their facts
> before they post nonsense to Usenet.

Well, I've had the same problem as the original poster a couple of
times (saying I didn't have DX 9.0c when I obviously do, since I've
been playing the Sims 2 for months). Except the last time was a
couple of months ago, and I don't remember how I fixed it. I think I
just rebooted.

There's something screwy with the Sims 2 anyway. The detection process
must be a little weird.

As to conspiracies theories, I dunno if this is a case of one, but
there are several new-ish games that are deliberately made to not run
on Windows 98, but actually can (and just need the OS check to be
disabled). That to me suggest that they have a deal with MS in order
to sell more copies of XP.
February 8, 2005 8:56:46 AM

"Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in news:QLudncief8DvvZXfRVn-ug@rcn.net:

> "Rico" <BC@dt.com> wrote in message
>> "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in news:BLadnYWwlaq-9JvfRVn-qw@rcn.net:
>>
>>> I'm sure neither Microsoft or EA is about to change their policies to
> satisfy
>> a tiny fringe group of whiners who don't know how to read system
> requirements
>> on a box.
>> Games requiring various versions of DX have been a factor for nearly a
> decade
>> now.
>> I see little reason for professed mystification/conspiracy theories.
>>

> You could have stopped with "I see little reason.."

But the fact remains that I didn't.
Keep whining if it makes you feel better.
Next time, read the box, and don't second guess DX programers.
Were you really in a position to do so, you'd likely have a nice cushy job
with MS yourself.
Simple.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 12:08:43 PM

> "Homer J. Simpson" <root@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> news:p pydnRztGqxb55rfRVn-og@magma.ca...
>> > Nope, this is a marketing deal between MS and Maxis or EA or all three.
>>
>> "Marketing deal", huh? How does Microsoft benefit from anyone upgrading
>> DX9.0c?
>>

> I'll give you a whole week to think about that. That should be enough time
> for the speed that you process.

Let's save time. Enlighten me. Or do you actually need that week yourself
to come up with a reason?
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 4:14:10 PM

"Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com> wrote in message
> barbara@bookpro.com wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:34:04 -0500, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote:
> >
> >> "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
> >>>

> http://eagames.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eagames.cfg/php/end...
> adp.php?p_faqid=15779&p_created=1095272769&p_sid=GNbBMtxh&p_lva=&p_sp=
> cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD02OCZwX3Byb2RzPT
> Q3NCZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9MS40NzQ7Mi51MCZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_top
> view=1

> there.
> >>>
> >> You don't think I'd come here spreading "wild conspiracy" theories
> >> without "googling" for a week or two?
> >
> > Good for you! I support the concept of people checking their facts
> > before they post nonsense to Usenet.
>
> Well, I've had the same problem as the original poster a couple of
> times (saying I didn't have DX 9.0c when I obviously do, since I've
> been playing the Sims 2 for months). Except the last time was a
> couple of months ago, and I don't remember how I fixed it. I think I
> just rebooted.
>
> There's something screwy with the Sims 2 anyway. The detection process
> must be a little weird.
>
> As to conspiracies theories, I dunno if this is a case of one, but
> there are several new-ish games that are deliberately made to not run
> on Windows 98, but actually can (and just need the OS check to be
> disabled). That to me suggest that they have a deal with MS in order
> to sell more copies of XP.

Can the sims2 run on 98? I would check as I still have my 98se computer,
but I don't have a dvd drive on it, so there is no way for me to even really
entertain the idea, lol.

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 4:17:00 PM

> > Hey check this link out.

http://eagames.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eagames.cfg/php/end...**&p_li=&p_topview=1

> > Or just go to the main sims site, then to the help section, then
technical
> > and gameplay issues, then it's the second question there.
> >
> You don't think I'd come here spreading "wild conspiracy" theories
without
> "googling" for a week or two? That web page above? Been there, done that.
> I've been all over their support pages. I've been inside and out of her
> computer. I've reinstalled WinXP Pro twice. Tried it with/without SP1. Do
> have 9.0c installed? Is that what they included with the CDs? That's what
it
> says....do you think they're lying about what version of DX9 they gave
> me???? Nah, I dl'd a DX9.0c control panel applet and, YEP 9.0c is loaded
and
> DXdiag also confirmed that. I've tried three different CD ROMs, I have
> changed IDE ribbon cables, defragged HDD and pagefile, have increased
system
> cache, have tried running under various OS compatibilities, have reset CD
> ROMs to PIO 4 mode rather than UDMA 2, have unistalled/reinstalled video
> drivers unknown number of times(using driver cleaners, of course), have
> tried debugging of DX9, and the thing that bites it all, other DX9
required
> games run fine. This Sims2 game runs fine. ONLY on the four other
computers
> in my network, NOT hers. WHY? She has more system ram than three of those
> four, and a higher cpu speed than all of those other four. All five
systems
> run XP Pro. BUT, here's the main difference. I built those other four with
> ABIT mobos. She had an aging ABIT BH6 Slot 1 so I found what I thought was
> decent replacement. Albatron PM266 Pro with a VIA chipset. It could be
that.
> But then why will all other games play on it EXCEPT this one? Nah, they
> tightened the screws on this way too much. It's a conspiracy.

Well good for you :)
Seems as if you have done everything, so it probably is the last thing, the
mobo.

I know you are frustrated about all of this but there is no reason to be
rude to everyone that responds to you.

February 8, 2005 6:42:11 PM

> "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
> > > Hey check this link out.

http://eagames.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eagames.cfg/php/end...**&p_li=&p_topview=1

> > > Or just go to the main sims site, then to the help section, then
> technical
> > > and gameplay issues, then it's the second question there.
> > >
> > You don't think I'd come here spreading "wild conspiracy" theories
> without
> > "googling" for a week or two? That web page above? Been there, done
that.
> > I've been all over their support pages. I've been inside and out of her
> > computer. I've reinstalled WinXP Pro twice. Tried it with/without SP1.
Do
> > have 9.0c installed? Is that what they included with the CDs? That's
what
> it
> > says....do you think they're lying about what version of DX9 they gave
> > me???? Nah, I dl'd a DX9.0c control panel applet and, YEP 9.0c is loaded
> and
> > DXdiag also confirmed that. I've tried three different CD ROMs, I have
> > changed IDE ribbon cables, defragged HDD and pagefile, have increased
> system
> > cache, have tried running under various OS compatibilities, have reset
CD
> > ROMs to PIO 4 mode rather than UDMA 2, have unistalled/reinstalled video
> > drivers unknown number of times(using driver cleaners, of course), have
> > tried debugging of DX9, and the thing that bites it all, other DX9
> required
> > games run fine. This Sims2 game runs fine. ONLY on the four other
> computers
> > in my network, NOT hers. WHY? She has more system ram than three of
those
> > four, and a higher cpu speed than all of those other four. All five
> systems
> > run XP Pro. BUT, here's the main difference. I built those other four
with
> > ABIT mobos. She had an aging ABIT BH6 Slot 1 so I found what I thought
was
> > decent replacement. Albatron PM266 Pro with a VIA chipset. It could be
> that.
> > But then why will all other games play on it EXCEPT this one? Nah, they
> > tightened the screws on this way too much. It's a conspiracy.
>
> Well good for you :)
> Seems as if you have done everything, so it probably is the last thing,
the
> mobo.
>
> I know you are frustrated about all of this but there is no reason to be
> rude to everyone that responds to you.

It pisses me off when people tell ya to read the requirements on the box
before you buy. WHY THE HELL DO YOU THINK I UPGRADED HER SYSTEM, YOU IDIOT?
Not you, but that azzwipe Rico. I always read the box. Some jerk offs think
they have to chime in on how it MUST be something I forgot to do. That's why
I posted in lengthy detail how I covered ALL, I REPEAT ALL the bases.
Frustrated? Hell yes! Thank god some other poster has confirmed he has had
the same problems. If it IS my daughter's system, why does it happily play
other DX required games? Apparently they're not as stringent on play
requirements and Sims 2 does not tout revolutionary graphics. Why put out
one of the most popular games with restrictions that affect almost everyone.
What does Sims 2 bring to the graphics table that the predecessors lacked?
And even so, why not allow the user to select the level of display so that
one does not have to install 9.0c?
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 7:03:57 PM

>>> "Marketing deal", huh? How does Microsoft benefit from anyone upgrading
>>> DX9.0c?
>>>

>> I'll give you a whole week to think about that. That should be enough
>> time
>> for the speed that you process.
>
> Let's save time. Enlighten me. Or do you actually need that week
> yourself to come up with a reason?

Dude, I'm still waiting for a response on this.

How does Microsoft benefit from a "marketing deal" between themselves and
Maxis that would result in anyone upgrading to DX9.0c? It's a free download
that's available for all their currently supported OSes...

Maybe if DX9.0c would only install if you had a DX9-compatible video card
(which is not the case), I could see card manufacturers benefiting...but
Microsoft?
!