How 2 connect 2 Win 7 computers to same network; 1 wired, 1 WIFI

jacjon

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I have a new Dell Desktop Computer running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit which is hardwired to a new Netgear WNBR 3700 router. I also have a Dell laptop running Windows 7
32 Bit Professional connected to the internet on a WIFI network emanating from the same router. I would like to exchange files and also synch entries in the two computers' Outlook Contacts. So, I have assumed that the Windows Homegroup feature will allow me to do that. Unfortunately, the two computers need to be on the same network to do that. My laptop only sees the WIFI network I set up and the desktop only seed the LAN hardwired connection, so setting up both in the same Homegroup has not been possible. Does anyone know a workaround for this problem? Thanks.

JJ

Solution
Hmm.

Well they would have to be on the same IP EX 192.168.1.x

If you are using a router it should be using DHCP to hand out address. So unless at some point one computer was set up on a static IP then it should be working. The wireless and wired come together inside the router so it doesn't separate them.

I will say that I've had some issue with computers sometimes showing up and sometimes now under win7. I do not know if this is a software issue or not.

scaye

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Control Panel > System and Security > System >

Go down to "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings"

Go into change settings. Inside the next box go down to "change" button. Name the workgroup anything you want, but make it the same on both systems.

Do this on both systems. See if that helps.

jacjon

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Thanks Scaye. That did not help my overall problem, but it did tell me how to rename my two computers, which I had also been trying to figure out. Thanks.

JJ

scaye

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Hmm.

Well they would have to be on the same IP EX 192.168.1.x

If you are using a router it should be using DHCP to hand out address. So unless at some point one computer was set up on a static IP then it should be working. The wireless and wired come together inside the router so it doesn't separate them.

I will say that I've had some issue with computers sometimes showing up and sometimes now under win7. I do not know if this is a software issue or not.

Solution

jacjon

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I agree that the two computers should be on the same network and I think my desktop was set up wrong in the beginning, but I can't get Netgear to help me. I have now even tried hard wiring the laptop into the router, but the desktop cannot get access to it and the laptop doesn't see the desktop on its network. Since the laptop is on the correct network, I just need to find a way to change the name or location of the net the desktop is on. I have looked into the setup info of the router but I am not knowledgeable enough to know what I am looking for. Thanks for your help.

TRENDING THREADS