convert XP Pro to XP home edition

Having upgraded from XP home edition to XP pro, I've found
that I cannot share a printer with other computers on my
home network (although I can share an internet connection).

Having tried all obvious options, I've decided that the
problem lies somewhere deep within XP Pro's security
settings. Is there a way that I can downgrade XP pro (with
SP2) back to home edition, removing all the complicated
security management so that I can simply share a printer?
I don't need all of Pro's bells and whistles (It is a
licensed copy provided by my employer to install on a home
PC) and would rather get back to the simpler days of Home
edition!

"mark blackman" <mark.blackman1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Having upgraded from XP home edition to XP pro, I've found
> that I cannot share a printer with other computers on my
> home network (although I can share an internet connection).
>
> Having tried all obvious options, I've decided that the
> problem lies somewhere deep within XP Pro's security
> settings. Is there a way that I can downgrade XP pro (with
> SP2) back to home edition, removing all the complicated
> security management so that I can simply share a printer?
> I don't need all of Pro's bells and whistles (It is a
> licensed copy provided by my employer to install on a home
> PC) and would rather get back to the simpler days of Home
> edition!

The only way to go from Pro to Home is to format the drive and do a clean
install.

Nuts!. OK can anyone help me! I'm using gpedit.msc to try
and add a couple of computers to be able to share a
printer.

Under Local Policies->User rights Assignments->Access this
computer from the network, I've tried to add the relevant
computers, having found them under the 'advanced' options.
Everything goes OK, untill i hit apply, then I get a
message "Failed to save local policy database". Why? What
am I doing wrong?

mark blackman wrote:
> Having upgraded from XP home edition to XP pro, I've found
> that I cannot share a printer with other computers on my
> home network (although I can share an internet connection).
>
> Having tried all obvious options, I've decided that the
> problem lies somewhere deep within XP Pro's security
> settings. Is there a way that I can downgrade XP pro (with
> SP2) back to home edition, removing all the complicated
> security management so that I can simply share a printer?
> I don't need all of Pro's bells and whistles (It is a
> licensed copy provided by my employer to install on a home
> PC) and would rather get back to the simpler days of Home
> edition!

The only way to change from WinXP Pro to WinXP Home is to
format the drive and start over. There is no supported downgrade path
or technique.

Simply boot from the WinXP Home installation CD. You'll be
offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as
part of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the
order of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

Hello,

So you can't share a Printer... Check in Control Panel-Windows
Firewall-Check that you have in Exceptions tab File and Print Sharing
selected and then you should be able to share a printer... if not also check
that in the Advanced tab then in ICMP Settings you have select Allow
incoming echo request

You can also if you want install for instance Zone Labs Zone Alarm Firewall
it's free and works well with SP2

"mark blackman" <mark.blackman1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Having upgraded from XP home edition to XP pro, I've found
> that I cannot share a printer with other computers on my
> home network (although I can share an internet connection).
>
> Having tried all obvious options, I've decided that the
> problem lies somewhere deep within XP Pro's security
> settings. Is there a way that I can downgrade XP pro (with
> SP2) back to home edition, removing all the complicated
> security management so that I can simply share a printer?
> I don't need all of Pro's bells and whistles (It is a
> licensed copy provided by my employer to install on a home
> PC) and would rather get back to the simpler days of Home
> edition!

I'm not sure going to Home Edition is going to fix this. As long as your XP
Pro install is using "Simple File Sharing" (i.e. you are not connected to a
network domain), then this is the exact same sharing experience you would
get with XP Home.

I'd suggest going with some more troubleshooting before trying XP Home. Can
you provide more details?

--
Please reply in newsgroup.