Hi all,

I recently finished putting my rig together

ASRock Extreme4 GEN3 p67 mobo
intel i5-2500k
Noctua NHD-14
Crucial M4 64GB SSD
Samsung 320GB 7200rpm HDD
2x 6870 (CrossFire)

and built it with no problems. Since my Samsung HDD was already used in a previous build and already had W7 installed, i booted up the PC with no problems. I did not install any drivers and no components were in a "conflict". I did however, run into a problem with my SSD and my DVD drive. The DVD drive problem is no biggie, it is not recognized in the BIOS, and since its not recognized i cannot boot from it (since i want to reinstall w7 on to the SSD) but it does function within windows, with the icon and all that. The SSD however, was recognized in the BIOS, but not in windows. So i took some time to research and found out i could fix it via Disk manager. And so i did, I initialized the drive, and formatted it to NTFS and it showed up on the computer, all ready to use. Then, when i rebooted, the SSD was not shown on My Computer as a hard disk drive, only the HDD. So i went back to device manager and it said it was all healthy and online, but when i tried to format it, it gives me an error message saying the device manager needs to be refreshed etc. then when i deleted the drive again and tried to partition it , it gives me the same message. Currently, i ran DiskPart, and cleaned the drive, tried to format for use again, without success. I then used the clean all command, and it showed 59gb available out of 59. Tried to format again, without success..what could be wrong? if it worked normally in the first place its not broken..everything else works perfectly..

PS: the very first time I partitioned the SSD, (using quickly partition) named it S: SSD and it did it in about a second, I thought it would have taken at least 3 minutes..and then it was working fine, rebooted PC and then not functioning...

Thanks in advance

If I didnt know that you were on SATA I would be concerned that you have some bad jumper settings on your drives... but as it is SATA they should be fine (unless you monkeyed around with them at some point previously)

UEFI (note it is not BIOS exactly) should still have information about the cd/DVD drive, and will need to be listed on the boot list. It may not give you a device name (my extreme3 gen3 only calls my Blue Ray drive an "ATAPI Device", and boots from it fine.

First, make sure you are on the latest firmware for your flash drive. Crucial is not as prone to issues as other brands when it comes to firmware, but it is not unheard of.

Remove your system drive, and then try installing win7 via the DVD drive to the SSD. If Uefi still refuses to recognize the DVD drive then it may be time to replace that first before doing anything else.

If the SSD is still having issues after a firmware update and a windows install then you would be right; time to RMA. Even the best SSD companies can run into problems from time to time. But you still have your old HDD, so at least you can use the system for the moment.

Many of the issues you are having are likely due to running Windows on a different board than it was originally installed on. It is rare for a mobo swap to work at all (unless swapping out the exact same board, or at least the same chipset), and most of the time there will still be odd little issues until the re-install is done. So dont count the SSD out just yet!

F4SOLD

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Hi,

thanks for replying. But when I enter my "Boot" options in the UEFI BIOS, and enter the boot options (or when I press f11) it only gives me two options, the ssd or the hdd. Ill try out to update the firmware for the SSD..it just doesen't make sense to me how it could stop working all of a sudden..

This is why we say you cannot simply swap a drive from a previous build into a new build unless the hardware is VERY similar. It simply does not work. Even if it seems to work okay at first, you start noticing all the problems we try to warn people about, like this little snafu you are having and very likely many more in the following weeks will start showing up. It is simply not worth the hassle. It is faster and easier in the long run just to save your stuff off the drive, and do a clean install.

F4SOLD

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011

But what should I do when I cant install from DVD and not from Windows??

F4SOLD

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
"the DVD drive problem is no biggie, it is not recognized in the BIOS, and since its not recognized i cannot boot from it (since i want to reinstall w7 on to the SSD) but it does function within windows, with the icon and all that."

I want to install from BIOS, as if i try to install form windows my SSD doesen't show up at all..

I instlled Partition Wizard, and scanned the ssd , no problems, formatted it to NTFS and set it as primary, partition wizard says theres no issues but still when I go to computer it does not show up and when i try to install windows from windows my SSD is not shown.

F4SOLD

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I have a LG Supermulti drive (not usre of model number, bought it about a year ago) and it worked fine with my previous build. Also works fine on my current one, except for of-course this BIOS hassle.

I am filling my sectors with zero as we speak, and after that I will format it. I will let you know how it went and if i need further assistance.

F4SOLD

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Thanks everyone for your input,

i was able to fix it by filling all sectors with zero and then partitioning it all with partition wizard, will now install a fresh copy of w7