mac29

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Trying to find info on how cpu prices decline, historically. I have searched in the forums and articles. Closest I've found is one assessment online that 'generally' they'll drop by approx 50% annually which sounds a) pretty simplistic b) from someone on Mars.

I'm trying to figure when Core i5 prices will drop by a third. Not gonna happen by July... Building a system from scratch for the first time. Stuck between a rock and a hard place. Don't want to compromise. Any idea how long it will take for say a 750 around $140?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

:hello:

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
As the fact that AMD is offering little competiton at this time, the price drops would be small at best, until they reveal their shiny new 6 core desktop items and price them REALLY cheap, and their single thread / game performance don't take a hit due to more cores and lower clock speed, then Intel has no reason to really drop prices at all.

I would say that if you are gaming, then a Ph II X4 955 is good enough, use the saved up cash for a better GPU, unless you already has a 5870 or a 5970 the saved cash should be used toward that.

if you are not gaming, then I would wait for the Ph II X6 or even the rumored X8 chip (MCM not likely i think..) and see how they perform once the specific application you are running is optimized for it and uses up multiple cores (IE video processing and etc.).

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
And ofc it did

h ttp://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=da&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http://www.edbpriser.dk/Search/Products.aspx%3Fq%3D%26qft%3D%26s%3Dpopularity%26cpath%3D1-2-35%26qt%3DFql%26nf%3Dstrmatrix1:^%2522Core%2Bi5%2B%25C2%25A40.0000000000%2522$[MultiValSep]%25C2%25A7specifictaxonomy:^Hardware|2/Processor|35$&sl=da&tl=en

remove the space after h

Price drops are strongly dependent on the state of the competition. If there is strong competition, prices will drop quickly (such as the price of the GTX 280 just after the HD4000 series showed up). If there is weak competition, prices will be stagnant (such as the current pricing of the HD5000 series). My examples use GPUs, but the same is true for CPUs as well.

You can get an i5-750 for $150 if you have a microcenter nearby though...

I would say that computer prices drop on average over the long term at a rate of 33% per year; this applies to all computer parts not just the processor. I call this PJMELECT’s law, just like Mores law.
This value I have researched over a number of years and has proved to be remarkably accurate.

except for old tech, DDR2 has doubled in price since last year, same thing happened to DDR
also take a look at S939 Athlon 64 X2's (or FX60/Opty)

actually i don't need one, i just gave away my S939 system because i didn't want to upgrade it or throw it away

went to good use to a friends sister for school

mac29

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Thanx HolyLancer, I'm not as concerned re: gaming as I am about video
appls. Cjl - thanks for the tip. Pjmelect - Thanks, that's the kind of informed opinion I was hoping to find as I know you guys are the *@#+ as the kids say. Of course I'm also aware of mindless's point.
Appreciate the help.