Want to upgrade the graphics card on HP m9500y desktop

bdng09

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Hello,

Currently I have an HP m9500y with a Nvidia GeForce 9500 GS PCI Express x 16 graphics card. I thought I was upgrading from my Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT OC on my old comp, and my ignorance has cost me my gaming pleasure. Unfortunately my 8800 GT OC does not fit in my new comp. I really want to upgrade my graphics card and here are some challenges:

1) Currently the comp uses a 300 watt PSU, which is not high enough for today's quality graphics cards. I read online that the ATI Radeon 4850 or the EVGA GTS 250 are decent cards, but they require around 450-500 watts. I'm not able to find the max watts my comp can hold before crashing. That's issue #1.

2) The better graphics cards mentioned above require a 6 pin connector. I looked in the HP m9500y and don't see any 6 pin connector cable; the only thing connecting my current graphics card to the motherboard is a tiny, white 3 pin connector.

So, if there is anyone who is knowledgeable about this comp and the craptastic graphics card that came with it, I would love some help. I now know that when I go to buy a comp that I need to do some research first and not listen to the sales guy who tells me that the comp is great for gaming. :/

You have been had on that part. I always decline assistance in those stores knowing that I know at least twice as much as the teenager approaching me.
It looks like your computer is a standard size tower so replacing the PSU should be easy which opens up the possibility of a new CPU.

DKRainey

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Haha, just stumbled into this thread looking for info on upgrading my video card and PSU and checked that link and that is the exact PSU I ordered not 2 hours ago. Also ordered an EVGA 9800 gt to see if I can cram it into the case. If you have any info on how your build went on the m9500y let me know. I am curious to see if this will work when I get my parts in the next few days.

EDIT: oops, forgot to mention that i have the m9500y myself. It was free do not judge me ;-)