Closed Solved

Compatibility Issues?

Hey I just picked up this computer from and am looking to swap out the (3 x 1GB) base configuration with the memory listed below. I would also like to switch out the graphics car for the one listed below. If anyone could take a second and tell me if you can see any issues. I am relatively new to the hardware side of things and would hate to spend a lot of money on something that is not going to be compatible. Also any redirection with some insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

HP Pavilion Elite E9280F(NY558AA#ABA) Intel Core i7 920(2.66GHz) 9GB DDR3 1TB ATI Radeon HD 4850 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Retail
(3 x 2GB)
(3 x 1GB)
ATI Radeon HD 4850

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 4870 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Concerns - Power... will this card draw more power than the base one and can that cause problems. Is this card even any better. I have about $200-$300 to spend on a card.

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit
Concerns - Timing listed is different, along with the speed. I did some research and didn't really get a good feel for what this means. Bottom line will these differences cause issues. Around the same to spend, $300.

All advice welcome, as well as constructive criticism. Thanks Michael,
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about compatibility issues
  1. Switching out the card will not yield much performance gain. I would look into a 4890 1 GB model, its great price/performance. 2 GB would be useful if you play specific titles that need the extra VRAM, such as GTA IV. And while 2gb is nice, it is certainly not a huge issue with current games. If you plan on crossfire, 2gb is a good idea as well.

    Memory- you should try to match the ram with other ram that is the same speed. The timings are less of a concern, but the speed may be more of an issue. You will most likely need to do a bit of work in the BIOS to get the RAM to work, like switching timings to manual, and picking a speed, instead of leaving it at auto.
  2. Best answer
    I don't know if it's worth upgrading your video card unless you go to a 58xx series. Anything else, and you'll get a relatively small increase in performance for a big price, and probably need to upgrade your card again later anyway. With a 58xx card, you'll get a medium increase in performance for a gigantic price, but might be able to keep that card until it's time to replace the machine. Personally, I'd wait a few months for the prices of the 58xx to come down; that would be the best combination of price and performance for an upgrade.

    I would not get that RAM. The motherboard for that machine is the Pegatron IPMTB-TK, and according to its specs, it only supports DDR3 up to 1066Mhz. So you'd be paying extra for performance that you could never use. Not the greatest motherboard for an i7 system if you ask me.

    Also, as was already mentioned, you're better off getting RAM that matches what you've got in speed and voltage.

    I'd be wary of using 1.65V RAM for an i7 system if you plan on using all six slots. Filling all slots can cause your RAM to need slightly more voltage to be stable, and they're now saying that going over 1.65V for your RAM with an i7 chip can permanently damage the CPU. I am not sure if this is a documented problem with filling 6 slots on the newer boards, but until there's a definite answer, I'd steer clear of it and stick with 1.5V RAM.
  3. I agree 100% with capt. For the price right now, the 5850 is not worth it, but once it goes down to $200 or less it will be a bargain. You may consider adding another 4850 card to the mix in crossfire. That's a cheap alternative while you wait for prices to go down.

    A note on the RAM - if you were planning on overclocking the board, the faster RAM speed may be of use. Were you planning on this? If so, what are your goals?
  4. Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
  5. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Compatibility Graphics