Overclock i5 2500k. Z77 extreme 4

noobnasty

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Hello everyone. This is my first build and i want to ask if you guys can help me overclock.

I currently have Asrock z77 extreme 4 mobo with i5 2500k sandy bridge with hyper 212 fan on it.

This will be my FIRST time overclocking. I was always afraid i might fry something.

IF you can make a video or just screen shots on how to do it i would gladly appreciate it. im looking to OC it up to 4.3

btw, i have a COOLER MASTER 650w power supply. If you need more info let me know please. Thanks a lot for the help~!

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
All you really have to change is the CPU multiplier and Vcore voltage(CPU voltage).

I would start with a 1.3V vcore and 43x CPU multiplier.

Test stability with something like Prime 95 or Intel Burn Test(I recommend using both). Check temps with Realtemp/Hwmonitor, and check speeds/voltage with CPU-Z.

If you're stable at those settings, just keep lowering the vcore by one or two steps(I recommend two for faster testing) each time until unstable in one of those stress tests in a few minutes. Then bump it up a step or two and test for long run stability.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7-2600k-review/11

The procedure is as follows:

1 Leave baseclock for what it is right now
2 If optional, increase the TDP limit of your processor to 200~250 Watts
3 With a 2600K set your base multiplier at 34 / 33 for 2500k
4 And now set the per core multiplier at a maximum of your liking, we applied an MP of 43 on all four cores
5 Increase CPU voltage, though setting AUTO might work fine, we applied 1.3V
6 Make sure your processor is properly cooled (we used the stock Intel cooler and forced the fan to 70% RPM)
7 Save and Exit BIOS / UEFI

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110
http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html#post110904
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264397-29-asus-motherboard-overclocking#t1907892

The 212 will get ya to 4.4 - 4.5 Ghz

You can probably run 43X @ + or - 1.265V
44X @ + or - 1.295V
45X @ + or - 1.325V

As JackNaylorPE said: "The 212 will get ya to 4.4 - 4.5 Ghz "

The 2500K seems to love the 45X or 4500mhz range, and with air cooling I don't suggest you attempt going past 45X.

Good Luck to You!

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012

I am using the same board and chip shooting for 4.5 ghz. You might want to adjust the LLC to 3 (default 5). I had to set it to 2 just so the voltage would not go up/down as much. With the LLC at 5 I instantly had BSOD because the voltage was at 1.26. Advanced > CPU > Load Line Calibration

This, is not really a noob guide, however many noobs have used it successfully, it is basically the other end of the K series overclocking spectrum.

It will allow you to know what you can disable and run solid, many like to stay well on the conservative side of things keeping all of Intel's features enabled, which is fine if that's the route you desire to take, but some of the Intel features designed to save you electricity automatically, have to use aggressive voltages when power is needed under load, to avoid crashes in the operating system.

Which increases CPU temperature!

Spiking voltages higher than you'll like to see, even as high as Intels max tested 1.520v, which by the way you do not want to be running everyday!

Taking total manual control over those voltages and removing the spikes, requires a slightly higher fixed voltage, and a 1 to 1 load line calibration, but actually runs cooler in the operating system.

For longevity most are shooting for staying below 1.40v, the guide is completely safe, many have used it, and since we're not in the Fred Flintstone days where all is etched in stone, you can always try it, and if it's not for you, re-enable what you think you need.

There is so much versatility overclocking the 2500K! Ryan

ratsa

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

Z77 Extreme4 does not have a setting labeled "vcore". WHich setting is for vcore?

noobnasty

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

Okay. i followed the guide u gave me but i seemed cant put the turbo into manual. it stayed on auto...

Anyhow, im running prime 95 right now for about 10 mins or so, i reached a maximum temp on one of the cores. 71 C.
All other cores are under 70.

I set the multiplier to 45 and voltage at 1.325.

Are these temps good or no?

PS: CPUID shows my core voltage at 1.296 ~ 1.304