New build won't start.

HarlequinForest

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Finished hooking everything up inside my case, went to turn it on, and all that happens is the red LEDs on my two case fans flashes for a split second, as well as the power indicator on the front of my case. The fans don't spin. The motherboard doesn't beep. Nothing at all.

I've gone through most of the checklist in the sticky thread, but I was hoping these symptoms could narrow down the possibilites.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz
XFX HD 4890
Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
WD Caviar Blue 500gb
Cooler Master Storm Scout
Corsair 550W PSU

HarlequinForest

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
OK, I think I may have done something stupid. I've left all the PSU connectors in, but I switched the 24-pin mobo connector with my older PSU to see if my new PSU is not working. With just the 24-pin plugged in, I powered up the old PSU and jumped the power switch on the motherboard. I immediately heard a pop and I may have smelled a burning smell (I don't know, my sinuses are stuffed up), but I can't smell it now. However, the CPU fan did start spinning, which is progress.

So, how stupid was this? Or am I just paranoid? And is this, in fact, indicative of a bad power supply?

HarlequinForest

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Well, I'm breadboarding my components now. I finally got some beeps out of my motherboard: 4 long ones. I only have my CPU, CPU fan, and power supply hooked up right now.

OK, now I've inserted the GPU and memory sticks: I got one short beep! I guess that means that it's working, and I just installed the motherboard incorrectly. I did have an absent screw on one of my standoffs because I couldn't reach it with a screwdriver (it is hiding behind the memory controller and case).

Now it's just a matter of putting it all in my case properly...

HarlequinForest

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
It's now in the case with all my components hooked up (besides the drives) and I'm getting good motherboard beeps. I'm ecstatic, but I won't get too excited until it's fully operational.

I think the problem was that my motherboard was shorting out, due to being installing the standoffs/screws incorrectly. But again, I won't say anything is completely fixed until I get a monitor display.

HarlequinForest

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I now believe the problem to have been the polarity on the power switch connector being backwards... Anyways, all the components are now hooked up (all the drives, fans, etc.) and I'm installing Windows 7, as we speak!