iankorean

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I get no beeps on start up and I'm down to Mobo and CPU w/HSF. Could my CPU be DOA? I already thought it was my mobo and did a RMA on the first one. This is my second mobo and it is doing exactly the same thing as the first one. PSU has been checked and both 24pin and 4pin are send juice.

Solution
Make sure you have your heatsink on properly. You could try seating it again but make sure you clean the old thermal paste off the cpu and heatsink and reapply new thermal paste. Also inspect the CPU for bent pins.

you could also try resetting the CMOS.

Another thing you should really think of doing is getting a new power supply. I don't think Raidmax has a good reputation for quality when it comes to power supplies. You may want to consider getting a power supply from reputable brands such as Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling or Antec.
The absense of beeps is not always indicative of mobo or cpu failure. RAM is more commonly the failure, but that doesn't mean your deductions have no merit.
Please post the components of your build with their respective manufacturer specs.

For example,

Mobo: Gigabyte TA790GX AM2+ (Supports AM - AM3 45 nm CPU)
RAM: OCZ Fatality PC2 - 1600 (latency 7-7-7-15, 1.8v)

iankorean

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Parts:
CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 620 2.6GHz Socket AM3, 95W
Mobo: Asus M4A79XTD EVO ATX AM3, DDR3, PCIe x 16, 140W CPU Support
Memory: Corsair DDR3 1333 (2x2gb)
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 PCIe x 16
PSU: Raidmax 530W

Asus manual says I should hear beeps if no memory is installed. Mobo has speaker and I also attached case speaker.

Other things I tried swapping memory one stick at a time in all 4 memory slots.

iankorean

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

How do I do a bios flash if I can't get bios to display on monitor?

iankorean

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

I've have gone thru that checklist and was actually at the bottom of the list where he recommends pulling everything out and just running the mobo, cpu w/hsf, and psu and listening for beeps.

iankorean

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Asus.com says my mobo's bios does not need updating. Mobo is 1.01G and CPU only needs 1.00G. As long as CPU number is smaller or equal to current bios version than no updating necessary.

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Make sure you have your heatsink on properly. You could try seating it again but make sure you clean the old thermal paste off the cpu and heatsink and reapply new thermal paste. Also inspect the CPU for bent pins.

you could also try resetting the CMOS.

Another thing you should really think of doing is getting a new power supply. I don't think Raidmax has a good reputation for quality when it comes to power supplies. You may want to consider getting a power supply from reputable brands such as Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling or Antec.

Solution

iankorean

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Checked and recheck CPU and HSF, pins look straight and drops in nicely into mobo cpu socket. Reset CMOS according to Asus manual, still nothing. Although I appreciate your opinion regarding the raidmax psu I'm using, it has been tested with a power meter and mine is working and does not seem to be the reason for my current dilemma.

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Maybe there is a short somewhere in the case. Have you tried breadboading your system components? If that doesn't work maybe you should RMA your CPU?

I would still get a better PSU even though it might not be the problem now because an inferior PSU can cause problems in the future. It might be working but that does not mean it is supplying clean and stable power to your system. Hope things work out.

iankorean

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
lol, no one seems to like my psu (I also started a thread under the new build forum). Someone else said that checking with power meter wouldn't tell me if my PSU can handle the load. I don't know how to check that so I asked him (still waiting for response). I am a little confused about the exact definition of breadboarding (seems to be thrown around alot with differing definitions). This is what I am doing. Minimal components just to get a POST response (cpu, hsf, mobo, psu, case power switch, and case speaker). Mobo is on a wooden block (old wooden cutting board (got that idea from another thread). I grounded myself and plugged surge protector into outlet (grounded and getting power). Does anyone know how to check if my PSU can "handle the load"

Numbers on the side of PSU:

AC Input: 110V/230 Vac ~ 10-6A 47-63Hz
DC Output: +3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +5Vsb
Max Output Current: 28A 34A 20A 17A 0. 8A 2.5A
Max Combined Power: 514W 16W
Total Power: 530W

iankorean

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Great News! New CPU did the trick. Although frustrating, I learned a ton of troubleshooting techniques from this experience. Thanks for your help everyone. DOA CPU's do exist :p