System unexpectedly reboots

neenishtarts

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Well, about 5 minutes ago, my computer stopped working after I took it to a LAN. It worked perfectly fine, but when I got there, it wasn't. I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard, an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 processor, 8GB of Corsair RAM and a Radeon HD5970 OC graphics card.

The problem occurs upon startup. When I start the computer, it runs for about 5-10 seconds with nothing showing on the monitor, before it turns off and reboots. There are no beeps coming from the computer at any time during start up. The processor fan in the 5-10 seconds of running time turns on and off. A person with a similar problem was at "http://club.myce.com/f7/computer-restarts-after-turned-197579/", but his problem wasn't resolved.

I've had this computer for about 6 months with no issues whatsoever, so this sudden error was completely unexpected. Would anyone be able to assist?

TegGhola

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Unless you dropped it or got it wet on the way to the LAN [party?], I'd start off by assuming that the journey caused something to shake a little loose.

If you built the PC yourself, it's worth opening it up and going through all of the connections one by one, checking that the cables are solidly received in their respective connectors. And if you didn't build it, ask for help from the person / company who did. (Maybe don't mention that you're lugging it around like a laptop, as they may try to claim that voids any warranty.)

neenishtarts

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Yeah, as it turned out, it was a power issue. Not with the computer, but with the wall socket. Don't know why it happened, but at the LAN it wouldn't work but at home it worked fine. Thanks anyway, TegGhola