Sign in with
Your question
Solved

System unexpectedly reboots

Last response: in Systems
December 17, 2009 12:08:32 AM

Well, about 5 minutes ago, my computer stopped working after I took it to a LAN. It worked perfectly fine, but when I got there, it wasn't. I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard, an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 processor, 8GB of Corsair RAM and a Radeon HD5970 OC graphics card.

The problem occurs upon startup. When I start the computer, it runs for about 5-10 seconds with nothing showing on the monitor, before it turns off and reboots. There are no beeps coming from the computer at any time during start up. The processor fan in the 5-10 seconds of running time turns on and off. A person with a similar problem was at "http://club.myce.com/f7/computer-restarts-after-turned-...", but his problem wasn't resolved.

I've had this computer for about 6 months with no issues whatsoever, so this sudden error was completely unexpected. Would anyone be able to assist?
a b B Homebuilt system
December 17, 2009 12:37:03 AM

What kind of PSU do you have?

Try 1 stick of RAM at a time.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 17, 2009 1:23:01 AM

I assume you mean you took it to a "LAN party" ..... what is the power like there....stable voltages ? You have a good PSU ?
Related resources
December 17, 2009 4:55:18 AM

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Q750W

I haven't tried one stick of RAM yet...
m
l
December 17, 2009 6:53:10 AM

Try the one stick of RAM, but if still rebooting it could be corrupted hard drive. Happened to me and had to replace HD. Mine stayed in a continous reboot. Might be able to access most of your stuff if you boot from different Hard Drive. Hope you backed up anything important.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 17, 2009 8:43:29 AM

I'm leaning towards the PSU as the problem, because you said you aren't getting any beep code. Try borrowing someone else's PSU to test with.

Tie up all loose cables inside to make sure you aren't shorting out on any of them.

^ This is all assuming that you have a working motherboard speaker. If the speaker is working, it's not the hard drive, because your system would still POST with a bad hard drive.
m
l
December 17, 2009 8:36:20 PM

Moving it about you probably knocked a connection lose. Remove and reset the video card, memory chips, power and drive connectors and see if that fixes it.
m
l
December 18, 2009 12:11:28 PM

Thanks to the people who responded, but as it turned out, the problem wasn't with the computer, but with the venue. I don't know why my computer didn't work, but instead of pulling out the RAM, I just waited until I got home. Plugged it in at home and it worked perfectly. No data loss, no restarting, nothing. Thanks to the people kind enough to help me out.
m
l
!