Looking for new PSU + Graphics card

puddz

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
My current system is
Arctic Power 600W PSU - With PCI-E, 3x SATA, 20 4, ATX12V, 8pin 12V Connectors - Retail Boxed
Sapphire PE-AM2RS740G Pure 740G Socket AM2 onboard VGA DVI 6 channel audio mATX Motherboard
Casecom Shiny Piano Black Mid Tower Case with Red LED 120mm Front Fan and Side Window
LiteOn 20x DVD±RW Dual Layer & Ram IDE Black Bare Drive - OEM
AMD Phenom X4 9650 2.3GHz Socket AM2 2MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Titanium Memory Kit CL4(4-4-4-15)
Maxtor STM3320614AS 320GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache

The psu i had in mind was;
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135514/show_product_overview
Would that fit/run my computer?

And i need help with finding a budget Graphics card.
I have £60 to spend.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Im not in Europe, but looking at the website you posted I think your best deal is the 450w corsair PSU and an ATI HD 4850.

Corsair is an excellent PSU brand, and because of their quality you definitely do not need a 600w psu. If you do not believe me go to the corsair website and use their calculator.

If lowering the PSU price saves you enough, you might consider a slightly more expensive card--even a 4870/5770 should run on a corsair 450w.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Oh, was that 60 total, or 60 for just the graphic card? I was assuming that the 60 was for the graphic card only: £82 graphic card +£52 PSU = £134 for both. You can probably even run one of the better cards on your psu.

puddz

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I have £130 total to spend. Just the PSU i posted was what people suggested i buy when i first wanted to build the computer. I ended up being a tight ass and brought Arctic Power one, which I've tried 2 cards on and both times my computer would lock up when playing games (Nvidia 8800GT and ATI 4670).
But i was looking ahead as well. Cause once i get more money ill prob be buying a better card and a bigger monitor.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
You shouldnt really need to spring for for than a 450w corsair unless you plan to use multiple video cards or overclock significantly. The 450w could run most graphic cards on the market today-- except for a few of the extremely high end ones. Anything above the 550w is only needed if you are running multiple cards. (even the 400w corsair that I have can run most cards)

I'm a bit worried about your problem running a 4670-- your PSU should handle that very easily....

I think the 4670 jyjjy listed is a decent low end option, but above that I would consider:

74 for a 9800GT
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169557

82 for 4850
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172948

92 for 4870
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/155498

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
1. They have different heatsinks but are the same card.

2. Yep. According to the corsair website that PSU can easily run your computer along with a big card like a 4870. I encourage you to look.

3. You dont need a new PSU to run the 4670 though--it runs off the slot alone and doesnt even need a power connector. It could run off of a 250-300w PSU easily...

What kind of gaming do you do? and at what resolution? A 4670 is a great value, but might not let you use high settings on newer games...

puddz

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Well since I'm on integrated graphics at the moment, i don't to a lot of gaming. Mainly playing PES 2010 and Killing floor.
But I would be playing Prototype, GTA 4, Mass Effect and the like if i could.
And since i have a 17inch monitor i'll be playing at 1280x1040.
Also might as well point out I'm on Vista 64bit.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Oh well the 4670 would be fine for average gaming since none of those are brand new and you have a small monitor.

If you want to get a new PSU now you can, but you really dont need to.

(what happened to the 8800gt you tried? --its still a lot more powerful than this card)

puddz

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Since it wouldn't work i traded it for a PSP with a friend. I though it was a good deal since i got the card of a mate for £60.
But my friend spilt coffee over it when he was about to install it in his computer. And now it doesn't work at all.

Edit:
Tbh, I would prefer to get a new psu, since the 4670 and the 8800 didn't work on this PSU. My computer has also locked up couple of times when gaming while using integrated graphics.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Yea-- a new PSU is a good investment that will keep your other components safer from electrical/failure issues.

Still though-- i need to emphasize that the previous 4670 should have worked with any PSU-- you might want to figure out if it was a faulty card, or if you have some motherboard/slot issue that you dont know about before purchasing another one.

puddz

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
How would i go about that then?

But I would of thought it would be a problem with the PSU since my computer has locked up a couple of times while on integrated graphics.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

I'm not certain... maybe that should be a separate post in another section. You should describe the symptoms in detail and see if other agree.