Sign in with
Your question

First time scratch build.

Last response: in Systems
December 17, 2009 12:30:52 AM

My first scratch build, on a quite limited budget. I do however, have experience of both upgrading and general maintenance of computers, so i have a basic idea of what to get.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Soon after christmas, up to 3/4 months after depending on cashflow

BUDGET RANGE: roughly £650 incl. a new monitor, so effectively £520

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Folding@Home

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: UK if possible, However, I have family stateside who can forward parts to me if a good deal only ships to the U.S
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: U.K

PARTS PREFERENCES: Best quality possible, only preference is a 20"+ monitor.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe, not a priority at all.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1024x768 minimum.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: would like it to be relatively quiet, but if it's too much i'll just have to cope with it. Also, any little hints and tips would be great.

More about : time scratch build

December 17, 2009 12:47:50 AM

Good luck on your build. I too am preparing to try my hand at my first build. I love this site for the wealth of information available. Read through other's posts and you will gain a lot that way. Check my thread if you like: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276422-31-gaming-grap...
December 17, 2009 1:02:56 AM

Your system usage... this will be STRICTLY gaming and folding?

I only ask because I'd recommend a hella GPU over a 1366 system if this is the case (and if you won't be upgrading anytime soon).
Related resources
December 17, 2009 1:07:50 AM

Ah, just saw your purchase date :X

I'd wait to ask about this till you know when you'll be getting it. You'll have a better idea of what costs on parts will be.
December 17, 2009 5:08:18 AM

Yeah, I've already got a laptop that I use for schoolwork and browsing etc. Of course I'll use the net etc on it, but why muddy the waters as to what I want it to do. and to clarify, the 3/4 months is if i need to pay for my mini gap year in the summer or it the 'rents are going to
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2009 5:01:02 PM

After Christmas, I'm hoping to see some rather substantial price cuts. It could be difficult to make meaningful suggestions until then.
!