First time scratch build.

My first scratch build, on a quite limited budget. I do however, have experience of both upgrading and general maintenance of computers, so i have a basic idea of what to get.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Soon after christmas, up to 3/4 months after depending on cashflow

BUDGET RANGE: roughly £650 incl. a new monitor, so effectively £520

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Folding@Home

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: UK if possible, However, I have family stateside who can forward parts to me if a good deal only ships to the U.S
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: U.K

PARTS PREFERENCES: Best quality possible, only preference is a 20"+ monitor.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe, not a priority at all.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1024x768 minimum.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: would like it to be relatively quiet, but if it's too much i'll just have to cope with it. Also, any little hints and tips would be great.
5 answers Last reply
More about first time scratch build
  1. Good luck on your build. I too am preparing to try my hand at my first build. I love this site for the wealth of information available. Read through other's posts and you will gain a lot that way. Check my thread if you like: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276422-31-gaming-graphics-build
  2. Your system usage... this will be STRICTLY gaming and folding?

I only ask because I'd recommend a hella GPU over a 1366 system if this is the case (and if you won't be upgrading anytime soon).
  3. Ah, just saw your purchase date :X

I'd wait to ask about this till you know when you'll be getting it. You'll have a better idea of what costs on parts will be.
  4. Yeah, I've already got a laptop that I use for schoolwork and browsing etc. Of course I'll use the net etc on it, but why muddy the waters as to what I want it to do. and to clarify, the 3/4 months is if i need to pay for my mini gap year in the summer or it the 'rents are going to
  5. After Christmas, I'm hoping to see some rather substantial price cuts. It could be difficult to make meaningful suggestions until then.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Monitors Systems