IP address/ Win Sock problem

I can't get through to my server because the IP address
is invalid. I've done the "release/ renew" process and
I'm told that I have a Win Sock problem.

Can this be fixed?
Can I do it?

Jerry Buttrey wrote on 21-Sep-2004 8:05 AM:
> I can't get through to my server because the IP address
> is invalid. I've done the "release/ renew" process and
> I'm told that I have a Win Sock problem.
>
> Can this be fixed?
> Can I do it?

If you have installed SP2, you might try the new repair command line
that Steve Winograd told me about today.

Open a command prompt window and run "netsh winsock reset catalog". This
will fix the Layered Service Protocol stack, but isn't a full
re-installation. For that you can run another command line:

"How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=299357 provides a
technique to restore the TCP/IP protocol stack to its fresh install
condition.

Before running "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt" as directed in the
article, you should run "ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt" to save your
current TCP/IP settings to a file so that you can restore your settings,
if necessary, after restoring TCP/IP.

--
Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security