Multi-inlet radiator?

dobrehab

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Any radiators available with multi-inlets & outlets for dual loop?

I am working on a new build and am going to attempt my first custom loop. I really want to keep the case looking clean because I have some cool aesthetic ideas for it and want the case to look as open as possible. It is going to be dual loop, but the problem I run into is that it will require 2 radiators which I really dont want to do unless it is absolutely necessary. All I have come up with is this swifttech radiator but it has integrated res. w/ or w/o the pump. Would this work or would the second res hinder my flow and loop?

http://www.swiftech.com/mcr-x20-drive-rev3.aspx

also the reason I don't just want a single loop solution is because the 2 different loops are going to be in 2 different UV colors coming from a dual bay - dual res with colored LED's to match the theme. I know I am being very picky but this is going to be my baby and I want to do her right.

Wait, so you're going to run two separate loops (pump/res/blocks) but through one radiator? That's technically a single loop in parallel, and running it through one single rad doesn't reduce the number of radiators you'll need.

You will still need two rads, because the single rad will still only be able to dissipate a fixed amount of heat.

Example:
Loop 1 generates 200W heat
Loop 2 generates 200W heat

Running 2 rads that dissipate 200W each, you'll be balanced (400W in, 400W out) and won't have any issues.

Running both loops into one of the rads will result in 400W in, 200W out, leaving you with a net heat input of 200W. That will cause major issues very quickly.

Lutfij

Titan
^ + 5 mate, you've made all the points clear. for a multiport rad - might want to look at the alphacool monsta rads - but that won't rule out your need for two rads - or a hug rad that can handle your hypothesized 400W heat input.

**also the reason I don't just want a single loop solution is because the 2 different loops are going to be in 2 different UV colors coming from a dual bay - dual res with colored LED's to match the theme. **

Aye, seems like a tricky one until we steer you clear of additives and instead recommend you to use uv reactive tubing, if you want blue for one section and red for another thats fine, and a single loop is the most efficient and economic approach here,
sketch out the plan, Cpu,Gpu, sli/Crossfire? and we can figure out how much rad you will really need, and build a loop accordingly
Moto

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You would have to have a radiator with 2 separate sets of channels, and there's only one I think that would do it, the AquaComputer rads, but are pretty expensive. Only downfall is that one of the passes is smaller; I think something like 33%/66% or even 25%/75%.

If you wanted to maintain different colors, just use a single loop and use 2 different colors of tubing. You really don't want to waste your time with colored coolant...most of it is junk.

Lutfij

Titan
coolant, junk ? - aye!

the aquacomputer rad is one of a few rads that have multiple inlet ports to facilitate parallel loops instead of a serial setup.

the aquacomputer AMS(airplex modularity system) does split its flow in the ratio of 70:30 - and in fact if you consult with aquacomputer support, you'll find out it was done to help users cool chipsets, requiring less flow rate and not dampen the main components flow/thereby temps.

I know cos I own one, and nagged alot of people before getting the single circuit rad for myself

Lutfij really is a great guy lol, he spends money on H-series coolers and dodgy rads, then posts the details so others don't have to make the same mistake :)
Sounds like I'm taking the rip man so I am sorry, but you really are a great addition to the Toms W/c hardcore,
Moto

Lutfij

Titan

shoggy from Aquacomputer support
martin from martinsliquid lab, however he didn't have a sample to give me any opinion
rubix_1011 from Tom's hardware via PM
the rest of the people on the aquacomputer radiator thread on OCN - and i don't remember how many of them i PM'd

:D that qualify as a lot of people?

i got a hint of both sour and sweet in your comment :D The H series mod was a one off work of art when i was an arrogant soul with no knowledge of "real" watercooling. The dodgy rad - well it just had to come out of my "to buy" list with a purchase :p But thank you - I have others here to look upto - to help me move ahead with innovations :) ... mistake what mistake? my AMS isn't even up and running yet.

dobrehab

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
was working all day yesterday so never got a chance to respond... I was planning on using UV reactive tubing because I already have been informed of the ill side effects that come with using additives. Here is basically how I want the system to look/run... all of this will be in a NZXT Switch 810 using a AsRock Extreme4 MoBo

Pump(s) in the bottom of the case, remove the lower 3.5" cage and it will probably go down there

I want a dual bay dual res, but this is mostly for aesthetic reasons

I need the green tubing to run from the top bays where the res would be to the cpu (i5 3570k) and the blue tubing to run to the vga (evga 670)

this is where my radiator problem starts... (it would be in the top part of my case)

I would like to find a way to use a single radiator if possible, but just thought about the possible idea of fitting two radiators on the top since the Switch can handle up to a 420 on the top, just not too sure how efficient those smaller rads are.

edit- also how do you calculate the heat that will be generated? would be really useful to know

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
well it is only meant as a reference but here you go
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
OC Wattage = TDP * ( OC MHz / Stock MHz) * ( OC Vcore / Stock Vcore )^2
straight from the sticky but you need to leave a little head room even under stock conditions about 200W is a good head room but really it will depend on the hardware (EX: I own a 8800 ultra and the TDP = 175W but in reality the one I have produces about 300W under full load)
http://www.geeks3d.com/20090618/graphics-cards-thermal-design-power-tdp-database/
so what I do today is double the numbers given to me and it seem to work out fine the components are cool and the system stays stable.

Lutfij

Titan
Inspiration!!!

aquacomuter AMS rad for cooling proc + chipset not good for running parallel loops with it on a gpu but great for a serial loop.
alphacool nexxos/monsta rads for split flow - though the flow isn't going to be regulated between the proc+gpu

you could use Y connectors and pressure valves on a single rad but it'll end up messy.

**Pump(s) in the bottom of the case, remove the lower 3.5" cage and it will probably go down there**

I don't deal in probably, it fits or you make it fit :p

TDP-wise, check reviews of your gear, like a vid card review usually has the power consumption somewhere on the list,
if you plan for worst case scenario then your loop will perform under normal use easily, overradding may seem odd (I only 'need' a single 360 for my kit) but low temps and noise are so worth it :)
how about a 480 on top of the case and a 240/360 inside the roof?
push on the inside rad, then above the case you would have a shroud or brackets to raise the rad up a couple of inches, and pushpull on that one
Moto

dobrehab

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
thanks for all the help guys, really given me some sound advice and ideas. I have accepted that a single loop is probably going to be my best option since this build is already $700 over budget and that is before I include the aesthetics.

@moto - by probably I meant that is most likely where I will put it unless I find a more efficient place. I am positive I can make it work if I want to ha. And I am all about low noise levels (I am buying multiple cougars for the case and rad) and low temps, but it is more pertinent to me that I have everything INSIDE the case. I want this to be clean, and that is why I opted for a full sized case instead of the cheaper mids. I'll be posting back later tonight with some ideas and a few radiator questions but I'm off to the rec for now...

random question tho - can anyone find me THIS D5 MONSOON PREMIUM PUMP/RES?. Color is perfect and I know DD is wellknown for their water cooling products. Not listed in their store tho... reason I ask is because it would open up the bottom bay for another radiator if needed in the future when I sli