Unknown High Pitched Sound

Kezza_PwNz

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Hey Everyone,

I am posting here as i have recently built a new gaming rig but i am having some un-expected "problems" which i have been unable to fix.

The computer has been built for 24 hours and seems to be running fine on the technical side of things. (no error messages, games running smoothly and all drivers installed) The wiring inside the computer is all correct aswell.

THE PROBLEM: There is a high pitched sound which is emmitted. On closer inspection it appears to be coming from either the motherboard or CPU. I have checked all the fans and GPU and HDD and PSU for any sound (removing 1 at a time as a factor) with no prevail.

I have read some articles which say this can be fixed via the changing on BIOS settings but i am unsure or how to do this and if it is needed. If someone could help me fix this it would be greatly appreciated as the high pitched sound is very loud. I can take a video and upload it if need be.....

NOTE:Previous suggestions were that a capacitor may be broken on the motherboard. I Have since got a replacement Motherboard, and have also changed the 200mm fan in my case with no prevail.

First of all here is the Specs of the Computer:

CPU: i7930 (factory cooler atm)
Mobo: X58A-UD5
GPU: 2x HD5770 OC
PSU: Antex TPQ 850 Watt
Case: HAF 932
Ram: Corsair 3x2Gb tri series 1600mhz
HDD: 1x Sata 3 WD 1T
1x Sata 2 Seagate 1T (both are 7200rpm i think)

Monitor: 24" Asus VH242 (running at 1920x1080)
+ i have anouther 19" attached to second GPU which is just extending the desktop.

HELP!

steadfast1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
wierd, the only thing that i could think of that could produce a noise like that without malfunction would be a moving part. and if all your fans have been checked by stopping them, it could very well be your hard drive. that's the only other moving part. did you check the fan in your graphics card?