Sign in with
Your question

Hard driving making clicking noise, even after it comes up clean...

Last response: in Storage
November 24, 2011 9:34:16 PM

I ran WD data life guard scans on my hard drive to see if the there was a problem with my drives. Everything comes up clean. I have had a lot of clicking noises coming from one of my four drives. After I ran a chdsk on all the drives it sounded like the noise went away. Then today it was back again. All scans come up clean, however I have read about the click of death and other things relating to hard drive ticks. Everything I have read sounds a little bit scary. I am not sure what to do because the drives come up clean on any scans I do. I think that one of my drives might be going bad but I don't have any proof. The clicks are not normal I think, and they were not there when I bought the hard drives. So I guess that this could be a sign of things to come. Any input?
January 11, 2012 2:57:33 AM

I have the same problem. What ever happened to your drives?
January 11, 2012 5:51:09 AM

Chkdsk only scans for errors in the file system and bad sectors afaik. A clean result thus doesn't necessarily mean your drive is alright.

Download a tool that is translating S.M.A.R.T. data (google hdd smart monitor or similar) for the user and see if it can tell you anything more specific.

Greets
January 11, 2012 11:25:56 AM

Well everything is fine so far but some days the ticking is back. Some days its gone... I read that a lack of power can cause this. I have a 1250W power supply so I can rule that out. I should probably try a firmware up date. I have four drives all WD drives. I am certain that only one of them makes the noise. I but its hard to test. It seems like the ticking noise only comes up when the computer has been idle for long periods of time. I will continue to monitor and maybe run some more tests. I don't want to lose my data but I don't have storage space to back up all my files. Not sure what I am going to do. =(
!