People still use Prime95?

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

You need to run P95 for 24-36 hours.
You need to run OCCT for 1 hour.
You need to run Intel Burn Test for 10 minutes.

I do not understand your logic.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008

I've been Intel burn test/linX stable for 20 passes, and still fail prime blend. Generally, i use LinX (same as intel burn test) for short term testing, and overnight prime for testing for 24/7 stability

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Bullcrap. Intel uses the same stress test built into LinX/IBT. There is NO way it can pass that and fail Prime95 unless you have some serious RAM issues. What you said is a complete fabrication and I shun you for even trying to defend P95 in that manner. :fou: Absolute garbage.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Garbage? No ram issue, ram was running at manufacturer specified timings and speeds. And you know what? In order to gain stability i had to reduce the core speed, proving that it is not a ram issue. Either way, i don't really think a single program can declare stability of a system.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

OCCT is actually much less useful than Prime95. I had experience in passing 18 hours of OCCT but failed Prime95 in merely 4 minutes.

In addition, Intel Burn Test and Prime95 test the system stability in a different way and so it is possible for you to fail the other after passing either of them.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

+1

Intel Burn Test and Prime95 test the system stability in a different way and so it is possible for you to fail the other after passing either of them.

BTW, I also heard someone who got a crash after passing all of the 3 stability test and more than 24 hours for each test!!!

You absolutely can fail P95 after passing several runs of LinX. I've had it happen too. In most cases, LinX will catch stability problems faster than P95, but there are occasional cases for which it will pass and P95 will not.

That just means that some software crashed his system. In addition to maxing out the temps, the whole point of stress testing is to ensure, that if you do crash, it's not your hardware or overclock settings at fault.

Oh, I still use P95 also.

notty22

Distinguished
I agree with the last comments, I ran all mentioned for months, sometimes together usually while stressing the gpu. To me that causes the fastest errors(low voltage, TO fast timings). Prime 95 sometimes running in two of four cores also exposes a error faster than full constant load (sometimes). Maybe its the changing states ? But 10 minutes of burn test does not equal 24 hours of prime95 or a stable system. IMO.

jewie27

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Per JJ @ Asus, you should use multiple tests to check stability on a system. The majority of stability issues will be seen within the first few minutes of testing. He recommends, AIDA 64 in addition to Prime95 and all the other stability tests. It is possible to pass Prime95 and fail AIDA or Intel Burn test because Prime only runs integers.

TRENDING THREADS